What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Reicha, Anton - Piano Works with Ivan Ilić - well I wasn't planning on adding any more Reicha to my collection but saw the recordings below on sale at Prestomusic as MP3 DLs for $6 USD each! Burned all three recordings to one CD-R and was quite impressed, as were many of the reviewers in the attachment, if interested.  Dave

DavidW

The tremendous 2nd symphony!!

Karl Henning

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 06, 2024, 10:30:57 AMPeter Mennin
Concerto for Cello and Orchestra
(János Starker)
Jorge Mester
Louisville Orchestra

Following @Karl Henning's recommendation in the relevant thread...
I'm in!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 06, 2024, 07:01:21 AMThis is a far better #4 than the Klaus Mäkelä version from earlier today. This has emotion and drama, whereas the Oslo under Mäkelä has no urgency of rawness at all... it feels somehow domesticated. Not suggesting it doesn't have merits, but the Gergiev seems to 'feel' it...
It's some while since I've listened to Gergiev's account. When at the top of his game Gergiev is one of the best. I fell under the spell of Schnittke's Concerto for Three while watching a broadcast on St Petersburg television, G. conducting. And when he brought the Mariinka to Worcester's Mechanics Hall, they blew the roof off playing the Leningrad Symphony.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Lisztianwagner

Johann Sebastian Bach
Musikalisches Opfer, BWV 1079

Gustav Leonhardt, Robert Kohnen (harpsichord), Marie Leonhardt, Sigiswald Kuijken (violin), Barthold Kuijken (flute), Wieland Kuijken (bass viol)

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Karl Henning

Myaskovsky
Violoncello Concerto in c minor, Op. 66
Aleksandr Ivashkin
Russian State Symphony
Valeri Polyansky
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

foxandpeng

Quote from: Karl Henning on September 06, 2024, 01:47:40 PMIt's some while since I've listened to Gergiev's account. When at the top of his game Gergiev is one of the best. I fell under the spell of Schnittke's Concerto for Three while watching a broadcast on St Petersburg television, G. conducting. And when he brought the Mariinka to Worcester's Mechanics Hall, they blew the roof off playing the Leningrad Symphony.

I do think he has something in the #4, and I need to get a grasp of him in the rest, I think. The Leningrad has a real place in my heart, so this would have been amazing!

Quote from: JBS on September 06, 2024, 11:46:22 AMI've not yet gotten to a second listen of the Makela recording, but my first impression was similar to yours. The Gergiev is my favorite recording of the Fourth because of its intensity, but my opinion is undoubtedly flavored by the fact the Gergiev was my introduction to the symphony.

Glad to hear I'm not alone!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Daverz

Andre Caplet: Épiphanie for cello & orchestra

Nice piece.

foxandpeng

Pēteris Vasks
Cello Concerto 1
Tampere PO
John Storgårds
Ondine

Never heard a piece of music by Vasks, outside of his piano music of course, that I've not come to love.

Both Cello Concertos work for me, but particularly #2. #1 first, though 🙂
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Karl Henning

Wm Schuman
Song of Orpheus
Yehuda Hanani, vc
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

NumberSix

Chopin: Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-Flat Minor, Op. 35
Yuja Wang

foxandpeng

Pēteris Vasks
Orchestral Works
Uladzimir Sinkovich
Cello Concerto 2, 'Klātbūtne'

Vasks:

'With every breath I am here in this world with all my ideals and dreams of a better world.'

Long may he and his music breathe resilience, perseverance and hope into his hearers!

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Quote from: Karl Henning on September 06, 2024, 03:12:25 PMWm Schuman
Song of Orpheus
Yehuda Hanani, vc

Yeah, I'm in. There is unexpected beauty here. Thanks, Karl.

Tolstoy

André

Quote from: Iota on September 06, 2024, 11:19:33 AM

My gesture towards Anton's big day, another go at his much-loved Fourth, which has thus far eluded me in terms of setting my pulse racing in the way other Bruckner symphonies do.
It seems a very decent performance, full of delightful detail, a sense of great spaces/giant breaths, endless melodic charms peeking out from the score etc. And there's plenty I do like about the symphony, the first movement for example, and the rest of the symphony has all sorts of Bruckner goodies to enjoy, but somehow it just doesn't quite hang together for me. I'm not even really sure why, perhaps one day that will change, but for now I just feel like I'm treading water a lot of the time. Having said that, as always there's plenty to catch the ear, and my revisit has by no means been entirely unrewarding or unenjoyable.
Happy b'day, Mr B.

The 4th has a somewhat problematic finale (he made various versions and revisions). For me a performance that nails the coda is a successful one. Unfortunately not very many achieve that. You must hear clearly the pulsating viola figurations underneath the brass chorales and violins. That can only be achieved when the tempo is slow and rock steady. Try Celibidache, Ballot or Hrusa to hear that coda properly handled.

Bachtoven

She's certainly a fine pianist and can cope with the ferocious difficulties of the Piano Concerto, but I can't help wondering how much better John Ogdon, for whom it was written, would play it. Until such a recording surfaces, this will do nicely. The other works are very good, too.

André

Quote from: JBS on September 06, 2024, 11:46:22 AMI've not yet gotten to a second listen of the Makela recording, but my first impression was similar to yours. The Gergiev is my favorite recording of the Fourth because of its intensity, but my opinion is undoubtedly flavored by the fact the Gergiev was my introduction to the symphony.

I'm not a Gergiev fan, but his reading of the 7th symphony (Leningrad) with the combined Kirov and Rotterdam orchestras is hugely impressive and a top recommendation imo.

André

Böhm's conducting is direct, unfussy, slightly leisurely and surprisingly tough in places. The WP play like angels cleaning up the sweets table. An unusual combination, but quite appropriate for Brahms.

Traverso

Quote from: Florestan on September 06, 2024, 11:39:05 AMYou forgot to mention the poets, Jan --- bad form when quoting them in full.  ;D  :P  >:D

We should be glad that there seems  always room for improvement,don't act as the fly on a dunghill ,cleaning its legs....  ;D

foxandpeng

Dmitri Shostakovich
Cello Concertos 1 and 2
Jukka-Pekka Saraste
WDR Sinfonieorchester
Hyperion

Outstanding, of course. #2 most of all. Last ones tonight, but a great way to close out Friday into Saturday's small hours.

Tolstoy