What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Barber, Samuel (1910-1981) - Orchestral Works w/ Marin Alsop in her 6-CD set - also have supplemented the concertos and adagio with the second recording shown.  Starting in on my modest 'American Collection', just over 100 discs - will do some culling and replacing, and know that I could add a lot more!  Dave :)

Bachtoven

Excellent performances and sound.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Mostly salon songs, with a few solo piano pieces. Doing two CDs this afternoon.

I may go on to the final CD of this set after these two.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Linz

Gustav Holst Orchestral Works, Susan Gritton, BBC Symphony Chorus and Orchestra, Sir Andrew Davis

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

hopefullytrusting

2 x 2

Dutilleux's Mystère de l'instant
Dutilleux's L'arbre des songes

Machajdík's On the seven colours of light
Machajdik's The day after which mankind became wiser (2024)

JBS

Quote from: Todd on October 17, 2024, 01:08:39 PM

I have a Beethoven CD from them.

...and absolutely no memory of what it was like. I guess I should fish it out and play it sometime.

TD

JBS

And now this

Or more precisely CD 2, in which the sonatas are presented with CPE's post publication ornaments/embellishments

Bachtoven

I listened to some of this via Qobuz, but they don't offer the entire recording, so I bought the download FLAC version from Hiresaudio.com. I don't know what has happened lately, but their download speeds are maddeningly slow--mine averaged 50-120kb per second (many sites are 5-10mb per second!), so it took about 35-40 minutes to download. Maybe it's the time of day? Anyway, if you enjoy orchestral transcriptions on the piano, I can highly recommend this one. (It contains the complete transcriptions of Wagner works transcribed by Liszt.)

JBS

Quote from: Bachtoven on October 17, 2024, 05:56:06 PMI listened to some of this via Qobuz, but they don't offer the entire recording, so I bought the download FLAC version from Hiresaudio.com. I don't know what has happened lately, but their download speeds are maddeningly slow--mine averaged 50-120kb per second (many sites are 5-10mb per second!), so it took about 35-40 minutes to download. Maybe it's the time of day? Anyway, if you enjoy orchestral transcriptions on the piano, I can highly recommend this one. (It contains the complete transcriptions of Wagner works transcribed by Liszt.)

Modern or period piano? [I ask because he did two PI recordings for Harmonia Mundi.]

Bachtoven

Quote from: JBS on October 17, 2024, 07:08:20 PMModern or period piano? [I ask because he did two PI recordings for Harmonia Mundi.]
Modern.

steve ridgway

First listen to Stravinsky: Mass

Nice, quite calm and tuneful 8) .

steve ridgway

Webern: Five Movements For String Quartet, Op. 5 (Orch. Version)

steve ridgway

Xenakis: Herma (Robin, 1998)

Unpredictable piano music 8) .

NumberSix

Mozart: Requiem
René Jacobs, Freiburger Barockorchester

steve ridgway

Strauss: Die Ägyptische Helena

Just letting the music wash over me, it's all very dramatic with a good sound and flows well 8) .

Harry

Stefano Bernardi. 1577-1637.
Lux Æterna.
Ein Salzburger Requiem.
Missa pro defunctis sex vocum (Salzburg 1629).
Voces Suaves, & Concerto Scirocco, Giulia Genini.
Pitch: a'= 465 Hz, Meantone temperament 1/4-comma.
Recorded: 6-9 February 2019, Stadtkirche St. Martin, Rheinfelden (CH).

A remarkable recording, artistically a great success. A well planned and thought out project. The singing has a enviable balance, and clearly audible in the acoustics. The instrumental participation is a great enhancement of the vocals, and puts everything firmly in place. The sound is warm and committed, and lets the solo contributions from the choir shine. Spirituel Gregorian chant elements well chanted, almost delicately, floating in mid air. Bernardi is a composer to reckon with, afterall he was a contemporary from Claudio Monteverdi, and  introduced the Italian stile nuovo.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

NumberSix

Shaping Chopin
Anna Federova

Various solo piano pieces by Chopin.

Harry

Julius Klengel.
Cello concertos Nr.1 & 4.
Double Cello concerto.
Xenia Jankovic, Christoph Richter, Cellos.
Radio-Philharmonie Hannover des NDR, Bjarte Engeset.
See for details back cover.

Julius Klengel (1859-1933) was not only a famous cellist. He was an institution. He has been compared to Paganini and called the European cellist maker. You hear that in his fiendishly difficult writing for the Cello. In itself that signifies nothing as to the quality of the music, but it can be an extra spice to the compositions. Granted the concertos are a bit conventional, but that does not mean the music is second rate, far from it. The genre picture of a past aesthetic emerges, richly ornamented and of old-fashioned elegance, full of great melodies, and beautifully played. The recording is excellent. If you love the cello and have a sentimental streak, this might be the ticket for you. It certainly is for me. Swooning in luxurious warmth, yay!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."