What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 29, 2021, 07:32:44 AM
Popov Symphony No. 1, Iimori conducting the Tokyo SO

https://www.youtube.com/v/Uz13SglnxEI

Sarge

This symphony is quite thrilling. I love it.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

SonicMan46

Clarinet Works by Crusell, Krommer, and Weber w/ Eric Hoeprich - off a Spotify playlist although I do own 3 of the CDs (plus the same composers w/ others on the clarinet); according to the booklet notes, Hoeprich plays on period replica clarinets based on those used by the composers, several of which he made. Dave :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

Leoš Janáček
Glagolitic Mass, JW 3/9
Rafael Kubelík and the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra & Chorus

Diary of One Who Disappeared, JW 5/12
Kay Griffel, Ernst Haefliger, Rafael Kubelik-piano

After listening to Vítězslav Novák's The Storm last week, I had a hankering to listen to Janáček's Glagolitic Mass. I don't know if anyone keeps track of their listening habits like I do, but I haven't listened to this fan favourite since April 15, 2000. Why I listened to this on Tax Day, who knows, but it definitely needs to come out more.

Rafael Kubelík's 60's recording is the most musical version of the Glagolitic Mass I own, still in good sound. Most performances seem to go for screaming choirs and careening tempos, but Kubelík effortlessly keeps things moving without sacrificing the music. The Diary on this recording is sung in German instead of Czech, but Ernst Haefliger's inherent ability with German lied is his biggest asset in this music. I don't think I have ever heard Kubelík playing piano, but it seems pretty good too.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on May 29, 2021, 09:22:28 AM
Leoš Janáček
Glagolitic Mass, JW 3/9
Rafael Kubelík and the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra & Chorus

Diary of One Who Disappeared, JW 5/12
Kay Griffel, Ernst Haefliger, Rafael Kubelik-piano

After listening to Vítězslav Novák's The Storm last week, I had a hankering to listen to Janáček's Glagolitic Mass. I don't know if anyone keeps track of their listening habits like I do, but I haven't listened to this fan favourite since April 15, 2000. Why I listened to this on Tax Day, who knows, but it definitely needs to come out more.

Rafael Kubelík's 60's recording is the most musical version of the Glagolitic Mass I own, still in good sound. Most performances seem to go for screaming choirs and careening tempos, but Kubelík effortlessly keeps things moving without sacrificing the music. The Diary on this recording is sung in German instead of Czech, but Ernst Haefliger's inherent ability with German lied is his biggest asset in this music. I don't think I have ever heard Kubelík playing piano, but it seems pretty good too.

Hezké!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Prokofiev
Peter and the Wolf, Op. 67
sans récitant

Saint-Saëns
Carnival of the Animals
sans récitant
Ruth & Naomi Segal, pf

Danse mascabre, Op. 40
David Nadien, vn
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

T. D.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Prokofiev
Peter and the Wolf, Op. 67

Saint-Saëns
Carnival of the Animals
Ruth & Naomi Segal, pf

Danse macabre, Op. 40
David Nadien, vn
NY Phil
Lenny, conductor & narrator

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

Pre-symphonic Bruckner. Works written in the 1850s mostly, a few from the following decade. Surprisingly accomplished stuff for the most part, showing Bruckner could pop good tunes at will but also work them in satisfying forms. The concluding piece, Erinnerung (Memories, or Recollections) is quite deep and sensitive.

Symphonic Addict

Adam Zero

I didn't recall how brilliant this work is. It shows Bliss as a terrific orchestrator. There is some imaginative writing here.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Nadia Boulanger: Fantaisie for piano and orchestra

A first listen. I'm not sure how many works she composed, but this one is just exceptional. Very impressed.

Noam Chomsky

VonStupp

Leoš Janáček
Glagolitic Mass, JW 3/9 - version based on original manuscripts

Zoltán Kodály
Psalmus Hungaricus, op. 13

Sir Charles Mackerras and the Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra & Chorus

Since it had been so long, I thought I would have another go with a different Glagolitic Mass recording:

I remember when this new version came out; it restored a lot of strange meters that make the published version sound rather square. Additionally, Mackerras pushes ahead to make some of this sound like it will go flying off the rails at any moment. Now I hear there is a third version of the Mass floating around, I think Netopil on Supraphon comes to mind; but once we start going down that path, Janáček starts becoming Bruckner or Zemlinsky with new premiers of five measures of music every few years.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 29, 2021, 07:51:56 AM
I particularly like symphonies 1, 2 and 4.

My preference is totally same.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

André

Quote from: VonStupp on May 29, 2021, 12:43:51 PM
Leoš Janáček
Glagolitic Mass, JW 3/9 - version based on original manuscripts

Zoltán Kodály
Psalmus Hungaricus, op. 13

Sir Charles Mackerras and the Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra & Chorus

Since it had been so long, I thought I would have another go with a different Glagolitic Mass recording:

I remember when this new version came out; it restored a lot of strange meters that make the published version sound rather square. Additionally, Mackerras pushes ahead to make some of this sound like it will go flying off the rails at any moment. Now I hear there is a third version of the Mass floating around, I think Netopil on Supraphon comes to mind; but once we start going down that path, Janáček starts becoming Bruckner or Zemlinsky with new premiers of five measures of music every few years.

I haven't listened to this version yet. It's still unwrapped, in the pile. Ancerl, Kubelik and especially Bakala are firm favourites, though the latter is sonically dated. I have high hopes for this Mackerras version  :)

André

Probably only the second time I've ever listened to this opera by Rossini (in the same version, on lp). It's severely cut (about half an hour is missing and it's not overly long to start with). Still, a bubbly performance with Callas in good form.

VonStupp

Quote from: André on May 29, 2021, 01:34:50 PM
I haven't listened to this version yet. It's still unwrapped, in the pile. Ancerl, Kubelik and especially Bakala are firm favourites, though the latter is sonically dated. I have high hopes for this Mackerras version  :)

The soloists aren't my favourite compared to other versions, but it's a good ride and I kind of dig the differences. FYI, I'm glad I'm not the only one with those piles!  0:)

Symphonic Addict

Háry János Suite

Thoroughly entertaining. Most of the music has a sparkling nature, but Song is full of lyricism and magic. A very special movement.

Noam Chomsky

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 29, 2021, 03:36:24 PM
Háry János Suite

Thoroughly entertaining. Most of the music has a sparkling nature, but Song is full of lyricism and magic. A very special movement.

Excellent set. I especially like Concerto for Orch. and two Dances.   :)