What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Anyway,

Maurice Ravel: Miroirs. Pascal Rogé.

Harry

CD 6 from this box.

Les Maîtres de L'orgue Français de Louis XIII à la Monarchie de Juillet.
Le Majesté et les grâces entre dévotion et airs mondains.

Works by:  J. F. Dandrieu, Daquin, Rameau, for Harpsichord and Organ, and Baroque ensemble.

If interested in instruments, works and performers, let me know!

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

ritter

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 23, 2020, 02:18:42 AM
What I'm most interested in though is his Ravel.
Vlado Perlemuter's Ravel on Nimbus is top-notch, my favouite by quite a stretch in this music. His earlier traversal on VOX is nowhere as good IMHO, even if it includes both piano concertos (but in terribel sound  ::)).

I was recently listening--for the first time-- to Perlemuter's Nimbus CD of assorted piano pieces by Fauré. My recation then was very enthusiastic, and I was struck by how he "manages to combine a very warm tone with great clarity and transparency", and his "immaculate phrasing". This aplies to the same degree to the Ravel on Nimbus.

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 23, 2020, 02:18:42 AM
I have been listening to a bit of Perlemuter lately. His latter day recordings on Nimbus, as you are presenting here. Definitely a one of a kind pianist. I am going to go back to the record store and get a Perlemuter Chopin CD I passed up on, with a set of the Nocturnes. What I'm most interested in though is his Ravel.

I'm not sure that the other Chopin is as interesting as the mazurkas.

I have the Ravel, but I don't remember even hearing it.

You may enjoy his Kreisleriana.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Schumann & Ravel

Fantasiestücke,Op.12

Sonatine
Gaspard de la Nuit

Maestro267

Scharwenka: Piano Concerto No. 2
Tanyel (piano)/Radio Philharmonie Hannover des NDR/Strugala

Stanford: Piano Concerto No. 1
Lane (piano)/BBC Scottish SO/Brabbins

Harry

Hans Werner Henze.

Symphonies No 2,3 & 4.

Berliner Philharmoniker, Hans Werner Henze.

My yearly dose and exposure to a modern composer, who gives me the creeps, and at the same time send some delightful shivers up my spine. I love No. 3 best.
Sound is superb, as is the performance.

aukhawk

Quote from: San Antone
    Stravinsky: Oedipus Rex, Apollon musagète
    John Eliot Gardiner

Gardiner is one of my trusted condutors, I have enjoyed all of his recodings I've heard, and this one is no exception.  It is fun to see him abandoning his comfort zone of early/baroque repertory and recording these Stravinsky works.  Based on this recording I'll look into what other recordings of 20th century music he's recorded.)
Quote from: Mirror Image
He hasn't recorded much. Some Britten, more Stravinsky, Elgar, Mahler, Zemlinsky, and Boulanger.
Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 22, 2020, 07:17:30 AM
And a very good Holst Planets coupled with a superb Grainger The Warriors.

And Rachmaninov.  And Janacek.

Tsaraslondon

A smashing Copland disc, which couples his two cowboy inspired ballets (Rodeo and Billy the Kid) to El Salón Mexico and Danzón Cubano.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Traverso

Beethoven

Symphony No.5 & 7

This is the cover from the box,symphone No.7 is on the same disc.

Papy Oli

John Ireland - London Overture
Arnold Bax - Tintagel
Barbirolli / LSO

Olivier

Harry

NEW ARRIVAL.

Richard Eilenberg.
Waltzes and Polkas.
WDR Rundfunkorchester Köln, Christian Simonis.

A good many years ago a musical friend of mine from Arizona visited me and stayed a few months. He was of a serious nature concerning classical music, and when he detected quite some Strauss music in my collection, he was at first flabbergasted, and apologizing beforehand said the following words: "You must have been hit by the blade of a windmill, to have such music, and even listen to it, utter rubbish I tell you, utter rubbish!" I must admit that he had the better part of a bottle of Merlot in his system, so I laughed heartily about this, and told him that I would buy even more rubbish in the course of my musical life. And so I did,  in a exorbitant way. Well he died some years ago, leaving me his entire collection of music. It came in boxes, 4 of them, about 13.000 cd's, with a small message attached in a letter from the notary, with the words: "Finally you get some serious music", needless to say I drank the better part of a bottle of Merlot :)
Which I also did today, remembering him, Elliot Rosenstein, a character as there ever was. And what did I play, well some rubbish of course, but of the better sort that is.
Eilenberg has a excellent musical pedigree, which made him the composer he became, and a sublime orchestrator to boot. He can stand along the Family Strauss with honours, adding some refinement and academic knowledge to the rubbish he wrote. But I like it very much. I had so much pleasure listening to it, even the Merlot tasted better.
The performance is first class, as is the recording.
Cheers Elliot, bottoms up!

Mirror Image

Britten
String Quartet No. 3, Op. 94
The Britten Quartet

I continue to come back to The Britten Quartet's performances of these incredible works because they exhibit an understanding of the music beyond the notes and, while they do have all the technique one could imagine at their disposal, they choose to interpret the music and they do so with enthusiasm and passion. I feel they really get inside this music more than any other quartet I've heard (although The Emperor Quartet's survey of this music is amazing as well but in a different way). The only two recorded cycles of Britten's SQs that I don't know too well that I own are the Belcea Quartet on EMI and the Brodsky Quartet on Challenge Classics. I've heard the Belcea years ago, but I don't really remember their performances and I don't think I've even heard a note from the Brodsky set. Does anyone here have any thoughts on these two cycles?

Papy Oli

Arnold Cooke - Symphony No.4
first listen

[asin]B019CK9ZPO[/asin]
Olivier

aligreto

Rossini: Il Viaggio A Reims [Abbado]

HIPster

Quote from: "Harry" on January 23, 2020, 06:53:03 AM
NEW ARRIVAL.

Richard Eilenberg.
Waltzes and Polkas.
WDR Rundfunkorchester Köln, Christian Simonis.

A good many years ago a musical friend of mine from Arizona visited me and stayed a few months. He was of a serious nature concerning classical music, and when he detected quite some Strauss music in my collection, he was at first flabbergasted, and apologizing beforehand said the following words: "You must have been hit by the blade of a windmill, to have such music, and even listen to it, utter rubbish I tell you, utter rubbish!" I must admit that he had the better part of a bottle of Merlot in his system, so I laughed heartily about this, and told him that I would buy even more rubbish in the course of my musical life. And so I did,  in a exorbitant way. Well he died some years ago, leaving me his entire collection of music. It came in boxes, 4 of them, about 13.000 cd's, with a small message attached in a letter from the notary, with the words: "Finally you get some serious music", needless to say I drank the better part of a bottle of Merlot :)
Which I also did today, remembering him, Elliot Rosenstein, a character as there ever was. And what did I play, well some rubbish of course, but of the better sort that is.
Eilenberg has a excellent musical pedigree, which made him the composer he became, and a sublime orchestrator to boot. He can stand along the Family Strauss with honours, adding some refinement and academic knowledge to the rubbish he wrote. But I like it very much. I had so much pleasure listening to it, even the Merlot tasted better.
The performance is first class, as is the recording.
Cheers Elliot, bottoms up!

A great story, Harry!

Cheers to you and your dear friend.   :)

Morning listening:

[asin]B0011Z5MEW[/asin]

Sounding really excellent!  Hat tip Que!   ;)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Harry

Quote from: HIPster on January 23, 2020, 07:03:15 AM
A great story, Harry!

Cheers to you and your dear friend.   :)

Morning listening:

[asin]B0011Z5MEW[/asin]

Sounding really excellent!  Hat tip Que!   ;)

Thank you!
Indeed that is a fine recording, bought it some time ago. Very enjoyable!

André

The Schumann disc of piano and orchestra works, with the excellent Benedetto Lupo.