What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keemun and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

aligreto

Galuppi: 25 Harpsichord Sonatas [Ilario Gregoletto]

CD 2: Sonatas Nos. 7-11

There is a very appealing, light energy driving this music.

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 27, 2021, 01:22:38 PM

Just curious but have you visited the Boccherini Thread - not much input over the years, so might benefit from your help -  8)   

For myself, Boccherini was an amazingly prolific composer and I've enjoyed him for decades (just posted a few days ago in that thread what is in my current collection of his works).  Dave :)

Cheers Dave. No I have not been there but I will visit soon. Not sure how much I can contribute in terms of erudition but I will make an effort.  ;D

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 28, 2021, 02:31:49 AM
Bach - Suite for Cello No.1 (Du Pré)

French Bach Exploration Project

Papy Oli

It would seem that way, Ray, not that the French one is over or completed  ;)
Olivier

The new erato

This disc has been laying around unplayed for quite some time, finally (since I am now fully vaccinated) picked up the courage in these Covid times to play it:

aligreto

Beethoven: String Quartets [Gewandhaus Quartet]

String Quartets Op. 18 1-3: Stand out performances here for me are the slow movements. They are lyrical and emotionally engaging.

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 28, 2021, 03:31:02 AM

French Bach Exploration Project

He is certainly rediverting his listening focus  ;D

Que

Biffo

Schoenberg: Ode to Napoleon Bonaparte - Ensemble intercontemporain conducted by Pierre Boulez with David Wilson-Johnson speaker

Papy Oli

From the Berglund Icon box :

Glinka - Valse-Fantasie
Rimsky Korsakov - May Night Overture, The Golden Cockerel
Prokofiev - Summer Night: Suite from 'The Duenna'

A great start to this box.

Olivier

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

E. Halffter, Gerhard, de Falla.

ritter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 28, 2021, 06:08:19 AM
E. Halffter, Gerhard, de Falla.
Nice! I've had that disc since it was first released, love the music of all three composers on it, and think that Guillermo González, the Tenerife Orchestra and Víctor Pablo Pérez all do a splendid job.

Of course, almost everybody knows Nights in the Gardens of Spain, but the obscurer Rapsodia Portuguesa by E. Halffter is a wonderful piece as well, and the highlight of the programme IMO.

Brahmsian

Cross-posted from the Taneyev Twirbling Tones Composer thread:

Listening to:

String Quartet # 3 in D minor, Op. 7 (1896)
String Quartet # 8 in C major (1883)

Wonderful performances, even though the sound/recording quality isn't as great as the Carpe Diem SQ, it does not detract from the enjoyment whatsoever.

Mirror Image

First-Listen Friday

Strauss
Festliches Präludium, Op. 61, TrV 229
Wolfgang Meyer, organ
Berliner Philharmoniker
Karl Böhm

I'm surprised I never heard this before, but it's a nice piece of fluff that sounds like something that could be used in the Olympics.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: ritter on May 28, 2021, 06:37:01 AMRapsodia Portuguesa[/b][/i] by E. Halffter is a wonderful piece as well, and the highlight of the programme IMO.

My fav in the disc. I have the ASV recording as well!

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 27, 2021, 10:11:33 PM
I asked my daughter for Litton's recording of Prokofiev's 6th Symphony for Christmas, a few year's ago Kyle. It's a fabulous performance.

Indeed it is, Jeffrey. All of Litton's Prokofiev recordings are first-rate.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Harry

Recent acquisition, first listen.

Richard Franck.

Trio in B minor, opus 20 & in E flat major, opus 32, for Piano, Violin & Cello.

Christoph Schickedanz, Violin.
Thomas Blees, Cello.
Bernhard Fograscher, Piano.
Audite recording 2003.

Richard Franck is forgotten by most, until a few enthusiasts started to dig out some music by him. They started with the father Eduard, and ended with the son. Now the question is always was it worth the effort, and after listening to quite some music of both, I would say yes, but many might find him meandering bore, well to each his own!
Both Trios are well crafted, has a positive mood all around. He makes out of two motifs beautiful melodies, and opus 20 was much applauded by the critics and listeners alike. The Berner Zeitung, from 1894 wrote the following: "And the work is indeed no everyday occurrence; rich in melodies and in harmonic effects, it excites great interest from beginning to end" and I fully concur with this.
The opus 32 speaks "a more pithy language than the previous trio". It has a bit more flesh on the bones, and is more mature in its expression, even a bit more serious. The harmonic shifts  contribute more colour throughout the trio, and there are breathtaking moments that marks the stature of Richard Franck.
The recording fits to the music, as do the dedicated musicians.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

kyjo

Quote from: Irons on May 27, 2021, 11:28:43 PM
I like all the Delius string concertos. The "Double" is the most approachable and yet the least well known. Puzzling.

The Cello Concerto is beautiful as well, if not as striking as the Double Concerto. Must revisit the VC. His earlier, lushly Romantic PC is a great favorite of mine.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on May 27, 2021, 11:54:25 PM
I plan to, but --- are you sure you want me to post my findings?  :laugh:

If you come to think that Atterberg's music is anything less than completely magnificent, keep your thoughts to yourself! :P :D

Harry

Vincent d'Indy.
Orchestral Works, Volume III.

Istar, Variations Symphoniques.
Choral varie, pour Saxophone solo et Orchestra.
Symphony No. 3, Sinfonia brevis de Bello Gallico.
Diptyque mediterraneen.

Sigurdur Flosason, Saxophone.
Iceland SO, Rumon Gamba.

In my review on 29-4-2021, you may read what I thought about it. My impression has not altered.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."