What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46 and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello folks, now tonight I pay tribute to Baptiste Romain Le Miroir de Musique whit The Birth of the Violin album, wait. wait ,wait ... ?

Thought for a while in life I hated Violin has instruments, but it's all Flemish hmm, jeez I could not resist, pretty solid name were among the program of the album and it's good so good, now I love violin, oh no..  :laugh: perhaps I'm a bit nuts, but heck no one perfect, can't claim perfection, it would be arrogance, plain and simple, and that it for me, and oh yeah Baptiste Romain and his Ensemble his truely wonderful, what else can I say, please listen  to this and also don't miss out on Sulla Lira: The voice of Orpheus It's really good, trust me on this please, I know my stuff, whit all modesty?

Thanks for ready I hope you enjoy my post has mutch has I like to share what I am listening. 

Also now I'm drooling like a Pavlov dog over Arvo Part, I used to like him a lot, than his music would played in too many snob movie, of non interest for me, it made me hate  Arvo Until I heard Him once again Whit Estonian ensemble the album DE PACEM, darn this album so good, it's  music from the other side, if there is a place called heaven it's play on repeat mode, love it , strangely enought it remind me of Pétéris Vask Laudate Dominum that I love also  immensely and I guess if you like Arvo De Pacem ya will like Laudate Dominum by Vask, pretty sure about it, yep.

Undersea

Quote from: aligreto on May 28, 2021, 08:38:54 AM
Palestrina: Feria V & Feria VI in coena Domini [Pro Cantione Antiqua]

This is, I must say, the type of divine music by Palestrina that I really admire. It is hauntingly beautiful and excellently presented here.

Thanks a lot for your reviews of this set, they are very helpful!.
I was able to buy a copy of the set today so I will be able to listen to it soon too. :)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2021, 07:12:25 PM
NP:

Respighi
Concerto gregoriano
Lydia Mordkovitch, violin
BBC Philharmonic
Downes

I love this work.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: springrite on May 27, 2021, 07:33:33 PM
Would be better to have a flautist on the cover.

Well, the cover photo is like a random shot...

Yeah, my only complaint overall. The performance and recording are committed and clear respectively.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on May 27, 2021, 08:01:02 PM
Schoeck: String Quartet no. 2 in C major

The opening of this quartet immediately earned my affection with its gloriously open-hearted, idyllic melody that almost sounds like Finzi, of all people! The remainder of the quartet is more playful and fantastical in mood and chromatic in harmony, reminding me a bit of Hindemith's splendid first three SQs in its general style. A rewarding work by a composer who is quite difficult to pigeonhole stylistically.

I remember hearing one of his quartets, but it didn't make an impression on me. Perhaps I listened to the least interesting one (?).

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Piano Concerto No. 4

An underrated cycle IMO. Simply I can't tire of this unabashed romanticism. It speaks straight to my soul and heart.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: springrite on May 27, 2021, 07:33:33 PM
Would be better to have a flautist on the cover.

Well, the cover photo is like a random shot...

No doubt the cover reflects the Mozart, to provide the violinist some publicity material ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 28, 2021, 06:39:24 AM
Cross-posted from the Taneyev Twirbling Tones Composer thread:

Listening to:

String Quartet # 3 in D minor, Op. 7 (1896)
String Quartet # 8 in C major (1883)

Wonderful performances, even though the sound/recording quality isn't as great as the Carpe Diem SQ, it does not detract from the enjoyment whatsoever.

Taneyev truly excelled in chamber music. I have good memories of these 9 quartets.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: Biffo on May 28, 2021, 05:29:55 AM
Schoenberg: Ode to Napoleon Bonaparte - Ensemble intercontemporain conducted by Pierre Boulez with David Wilson-Johnson speaker

Love it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 28, 2021, 05:47:57 PM
No doubt the cover reflects the Mozart, to provide the violinist some publicity material ....

Good point.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: kyjo on May 28, 2021, 08:29:44 AM
If you come to think that Atterberg's music is anything less than completely magnificent, keep your thoughts to yourself! :P :D

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Artem on May 28, 2021, 10:26:38 AM
A new Russian composer for me.

From the cover, I should have guessed a Swede, but that does bit signify here, I reckon.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 26, 2021, 04:38:09 PM
Ives
The Unanswered Question
Wm Vecchiano, tp

Holidays Symphony

Central Park in the Dark

Seiji Ozawa & Maurice Peress, conductors
Lenny, supervisor

The Gong on the Hook and Ladder or Firemen's Parade on Main Street
The Circus Band

Camerata Singers
NY Phil
Lenny

Again.  I belatedly perceive the misprint on the CD sleeve, for surely the auxiliary conductors are needed for The Unanswered Question.  Overall an excellent and repeatable disc.  The Holidays Symphony has become my firm favorite among the Ives symphonies.

Also, now:

Respighi
Quartetto dorico, (1924)
Venice String Quartet
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 28, 2021, 06:04:51 PM
Again.  I belatedly perceive the misprint on the CD sleeve, for surely the auxiliary conductors are needed for The Unanswered Question.  Overall an excellent and repeatable disc.  The Holidays Symphony has become my firm favorite among the Ives symphonies.

Also, now:

Respighi
Quartetto dorico, (1924)
Venice String Quartet

Bernstein certainly was a dedicated Ivesian and bless him for it. Thumbs up for the Respighi. That's a beautiful work.

Mirror Image

NP:

Berg
Drei Orchesterstücke, Op. 6
San Francisco SO
MTT

Testing out my new Sennheiser HD 560S headphones. They sound fantastic, but I can only imagine them getting better once they're burned in.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 28, 2021, 09:55:07 AM
GREAT box!
+1
It restores the very fine Nielsen Symphony No.5 with the Bournemouth SO which was never on CD before + some excellent Shostakovich and VW recordings (symphonies 4 and 6).

Now playing: Symphony 11 (there is an alternative recording conducted by Dudarova):

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Morning listening:

Bought it two years ago, and listened to it a few times.
But I wonder if I truly registered the value of this recording, which is wonderful.

However, a very sober approach in liturgical setting that will not be to everyone's taste!  :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R61PGJQAJ0AY2/

http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/Naxos_8.573260_ChallengeClassics_CC72632.html

Irons

Mahler: 9th Symphony.

A 'Concert Classics' reissue.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Que

Another double bill of Purcell harpsichord suites:

Kind of what I expected: generally excellent, well phrased, but a bit stately and measured.
Is Gilbert sufficiently sensitive to the French and Italian influences?

Tilney has a preference for early instruments with a small and rather dry sound. 
No exception here, he reportedly plays a pre-1705 spinet. The 1979 recording doesn't help to give the sound more air or sonic splendour.
Though Tilney likes defined accentuations, his playing is flowing. The slow mvts are pretty slow.
The sound is unfortunately an outright disqualification for this recording. A curate's egg. But (unlike in Gilbert's case), I kept listening after my ears adjusted. So Tilney definitely did something right!  :)