Tory leadership race.

Started by Irons, July 13, 2022, 12:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 05, 2022, 08:19:54 AM
He who wields the knife in the Tory party never wins the crown. Rishi only had to look back to the Thatcher demise to see the game is up for him. Heseltine a far more capable politician, and unlike Rishi a self-made millionaire, had his heart set to become leader and Prime Minister. He dealt Thatcher a mortal blow, but because of this the party turned their back on him and picked possibly the worst post-war PM, John Major. The game was up for Johnson with the resignation of Sunak as it was up for Thatcher with the resignation of Heseltine. Neither achieved what their actions were planned to achieve. I don't think Sunak has played this at all well.
True, although didn't Thatcher 'stab' Heath in the back?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 05, 2022, 11:16:54 PM
True, although didn't Thatcher 'stab' Heath in the back?

Heath misjudged the mood of the British public during the miner's strike. He called a General Election and lost. Thatcher then Education minister threw her hat in the ring as a 50 to 1 outsider to succeed him. She was up against the big guns of the time Heseltine, Joseph et el.
https://thecritic.co.uk/do-conservative-front-runners-always-lose/

I think Heath was a misogynistic man. Thatcher more then once invited him to join her Cabinet for which he sulkily refused.

One thing that really annoys me. Why is it that Thatcher excepted the winner of an election for leader does not bring the person who has lost into his Cabinet. Starmer/Cobyn I can understand but why was Jeremy Hunt banished to the back benches? If Truss brings in Rishi her stock will rise in my eyes.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.