Howdy, y'all

Started by NumberSix, June 01, 2024, 09:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NumberSix

Good evening. I stumbled across this forum just the other day looking for discussions about HiP recordings. I like the looks of it here, and I hope to be able to participate.

Some of you might know me as Scopitone at that other place - or you might have seen my Hilary Hahn avatar. But I decided not to go that way here, just for a change.  ;)

I still consider myself quite the noob, but I am sampling as much music and learning as much as I can. I am primarily a streamer. My preferred platform is Apple Classical, though I also have a subscription to Presto (and Spotify, but who's counting?).

Brian

Welcome! Love the username/avatar combo!

DavidW

Welcome!  Rest assured on this forum we will treat you as a free man and not a number. ;)

Anyway there is plenty of PI discussion here, you should find yourself welcome.

NumberSix

Quote from: Brian on June 02, 2024, 05:58:40 AMWelcome! Love the username/avatar combo!

Thanks! I use this screen name sometimes on forums, but it's usually not available

NumberSix

Quote from: DavidW on June 02, 2024, 07:24:22 AMWelcome!  Rest assured on this forum we will treat you as a free man and not a number. ;)

Anyway there is plenty of PI discussion here, you should find yourself welcome.

Ha! Good to know  ;D

Karl Henning

Welcome to GMG. Be seeing you!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

NumberSix

NumberSix

Quote from: Brian on June 02, 2024, 05:58:40 AMWelcome! Love the username/avatar combo!

I grew up in Plano  8)

Lisztianwagner

Welcome to the forum! :)
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

DaveF

Welcome! I too tend to follow the HIP debates, although without participating much (I suspect my favourite "HIP period" was the 1980s when it was all fresh and new).

Strangely enough, I was in Portmeirion at the weekend, so was able to admire this bust of you, which stands in a niche in the main gateway:

"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Karl Henning

Quote from: DaveF on June 04, 2024, 10:41:49 PMWelcome! I too tend to follow the HIP debates, although without participating much (I suspect my favourite "HIP period" was the 1980s when it was all fresh and new).

Strangely enough, I was in Portmeirion at the weekend, so was able to admire this bust of you, which stands in a niche in the main gateway:

It's a mildly funny thought, that for those of us outside the British isles, Patrick McGoohan put Portmeirion on the map.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

I'm actually amazed that The Prisoner got to The States! By coincidence I watched an episode last night on TV here - it's very good still. I've never actually been to Port Meirion.

I should call myself Number One, obvs.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mandryka on June 05, 2024, 12:00:22 PMI'm actually amazed that The Prisoner got to The States!
The Prisoner and The Avengers were two of the first shows I remember watching on my own via a small black and white TV we had in the kitchen in Rutherford, NJ.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mandryka

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 05, 2024, 12:04:59 PMThe Prisoner and The Avengers were two of the first shows I remember watching on my own via a small black and white TV we had in the kitchen in Rutherford, NJ.

Ah yes, The Avengers is quite often on some obscure distant TV channel here. It's great fun, and I love the 60s interior designs.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard! I know you well from the other forums you're a member of. Hope you enjoy your time here.
"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

vandermolen

Greetings and Welcome from me too.
 :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).