The Most Important LvB Piano Sonata Cycle Comparison in the History of the World

Started by Todd, August 01, 2024, 02:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Atriod on August 04, 2024, 02:20:43 PM[Concerning the 8 bars missing from the finale of Appasionata in Kempff's mono CD release]

That is present on every digital release of the mono cycle, only the LPs are correct. I verified that with my first pressing CD mono cycle box set when I received the Wilhelm Kempff Edition box.

The Documents [Membran] release of Kempff's mono set doesn't leave those eight bars out. Maybe / maybe not this can be seen as an indication that Documents used the LPs as source material. Usually (never proven as far as I know) Membran is supposed to use preexisting CDs as their source.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

grocklin

In the other thread Todd said he wants a second cycle from Francois-Frederic Guy. I liked the first cycle (and most the cycles that Todd recommends), but what are you looking for in a second?

Todd

Quote from: grocklin on September 01, 2024, 09:50:27 AMIn the other thread Todd said he wants a second cycle from Francois-Frederic Guy. I liked the first cycle (and most the cycles that Todd recommends), but what are you looking for in a second?

Interpretive evolution.  FFG recorded the LvB Cello Sonatas twice, going from extraordinarily great with Gastinel to possibly greatest ever with Phillips.  He's recorded the LvB piano concertos twice, with both sets being rather excellent.  He's recorded Op 106 thrice.  I just want to hear what and older, wiser FFG can do.  Great things, I would think.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Jo498

Quote from: Henk on August 31, 2024, 11:22:23 AMI think you can't infer that. Another plausible reason is that they want to stick to Beethoven and Nietzsche has had too little persuasion power.
Weingarter should have persuasive power as one of the most important conductors of the early 20th century if the orchestration worked well. Even disregarding a piece like Mussorgsky's Pictures where the Ravel orchestration is more popular than the original, there are quite a few recordings of e.g. orchestrations of Schubert's "Grand Duo" or the Brahms/Schönberg piano quartet.
There is all kind of far more outlandish stuff recorded, but in 90 years nobody picked up Weingartner/Beethoven op.106?
It's a devastating verdict, if there is any such thing!
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Henk

Quote from: Jo498 on September 01, 2024, 10:16:39 AMWeingarter should have persuasive power as one of the most important conductors of the early 20th century if the orchestration worked well. Even disregarding a piece like Mussorgsky's Pictures where the Ravel orchestration is more popular than the original, there are quite a few recordings of e.g. orchestrations of Schubert's "Grand Duo" or the Brahms/Schönberg piano quartet.
There is all kind of far more outlandish stuff recorded, but in 90 years nobody picked up Weingartner/Beethoven op.106?
It's a devastating verdict, if there is any such thing!

Nietzsches uses op.106 as an example.
Innocent and guilty. Happy and suffering. Tragedy and comedy. Holy loser.

grocklin

I like his interpretations a lot but he's definitely not the cleanest/most transparent of the top bunch. Maybe the least. But he makes it up in other ways.

I like his concerto cycle but I think I like Martin Helmchen's even more from around the same time. He should do a sonata cycle.

What do you think of Sudbin's sonatas recording?

Todd

Quote from: grocklin on September 01, 2024, 10:23:20 AMI like his concerto cycle but I think I like Martin Helmchen's even more from around the same time. He should do a sonata cycle.

My experience with Helmchen thus far is that I prefer him as concerto soloist or accompanist, not solo.  If he records a complete cycle, I will listen to it.

Quote from: grocklin on September 01, 2024, 10:23:20 AMWhat do you think of Sudbin's sonatas recording?

I'm not a big Sudbin fan and have not listened to his solo Beethoven.  As with Helmchen, if he records a complete cycle, I will listen to it.  I rarely buy solo LvB piano sonata discs except from pianists I really favor, such as Schuch. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya