The Legendary Recordings Thread

Started by Mark, September 24, 2007, 03:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

Quote from: ccar on September 30, 2009, 05:24:18 PM
I would probably prefer the 1965 Radio Swiss-Lugano. I feel Scherchen's approach in Lugano more spontaneous but this is only my personal sensibility.

When and where was that last available? I've heard of that cycle but never could find it. There was alone 5th on Archipel or Ermitage or something.

The 8th is indeed the 1954 RPO you are not so fond of (have you ever heard the Lugano 1965 recording ?).   

I think Edward's comment meant that he does like it, and so do I, it has to be one of the finest Beethoven 8ths around.

ccar

Drasko and Edward

I'm glad to find more Scherchen fans in the Forum.
And thank you for correcting me Drasko. I misinterpreted Edward's expression of being partial to Scherchen's  RPO 8th.

The Sherchen's Lugano 1965 recordings are not easy to locate because, AFAIK, there was only a now OOP 1998 Japanese edition (Gakken/Columbia) of the complete set. Others published only some of the symphonies over the years but many are also OOP - look for the older Tahra editions, the deleted Accord and some probably still available Aura, Ermitage or Living Stage. I collected most of the Japanese set and most of the other editions, which also include some rehearsals.      

Carlos

DarkAngel

Best piano version of Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition

I have recently been searching for any version to top the live Richter shown without any success, almost all modern attempts fall well short. Then I found this amazing Horowitz version from 1947 at Amazon USA. Excellent mono sound with almost no tape noise, Horowitz in his prime holds nothing back and gives a reference vibrant performance......also includes many other of his transcriptions for piano including:

Sousa - Stars & Stripes
Liszt - Rakozy March
Bizet - Carmen
Saint Saens - Danse Macbre
Etc.......

Mandryka

Quote from: DarkAngel on October 17, 2009, 11:32:00 AM
Best piano version of Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition

I have recently been searching for any version to top the live Richter shown without any success, almost all modern attempts fall well short. Then I found this amazing Horowitz version from 1947 at Amazon USA. Excellent mono sound with almost no tape noise, Horowitz in his prime holds nothing back and gives a reference vibrant performance......also includes many other of his transcriptions for piano including:

Sousa - Stars & Stripes
Liszt - Rakozy March
Bizet - Carmen
Saint Saens - Danse Macbre
Etc.......

I can do without either of those -- the one I like most is this one
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

DarkAngel

Quote from: Mandryka on October 22, 2009, 10:52:16 AM

That does sound like a great version also, ambient noise level is a factor however being historic recording

That is great selling point of 1947 Horowitz, very clean sound.......even better than the 1958 live Richter shown

ccar

Quote from: Mandryka on October 22, 2009, 10:52:16 AM

But Mandryka did you listen to Moiseiwitsch's other (live) recording of the Pictures ? No one would believe it to be from the same artist. Some missing notes here and there, but who cares: a fantastic new world of imagination, colours and freedom - absolute talent.  What a revealing musical experience !

Carlos

George

Quote from: ccar on October 26, 2009, 01:50:56 PM
But Mandryka did you listen to Moiseiwitsch's other (live) recording of the Pictures ? No one would believe it to be from the same artist. Some missing notes here and there, but who cares: a fantastic new world of imagination, colours and freedom - absolute talent.  What a revealing musical experience !

Carlos

Yes, Carlos, that's a great CD set!  :)

I just got his Schumann/Grieg Concerto CD on Testament, but haven't spun it yet.

Mandryka

Two superb Bach recordings.

Schwartzkopf with the cantata "Jauchzet Gott in allen Landen" -- the opening movement effectively a glorious sonata for trumpet and voice.

And Edwin Fischer in the E Major Concerto -- got to be the best Bach keybooard concerto performance on record, for its virile joyfulness.

BTW Thanks for mentioning that Moiseiwitch Pearl recording guys.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on November 02, 2009, 08:21:10 AM

No problem. Hope you can find it for not too much money.

Coopmv

Quote from: Mandryka on November 02, 2009, 08:21:10 AM
Two superb Bach recordings.

Schwartzkopf with the cantata "Jauchzet Gott in allen Landen" -- the opening movement effectively a glorious sonata for trumpet and voice.

And Edwin Fischer in the E Major Concerto -- got to be the best Bach keybooard concerto performance on record, for its virile joyfulness.

I have both of these recordings.  They are quite good.  Unfortunately, much of Schwarzkopf's and Fischer's artistry has to be appreciated in mono ...

Mandryka

Quote from: Coopmv on November 16, 2009, 09:04:13 AM
I have both of these recordings.  They are quite good.  Unfortunately, much of Schwarzkopf's and Fischer's artistry has to be appreciated in mono ...

Quite good! Quite good!

They are supreme examples of Bach interpretation. Full of joy.

By the way here's another Legendary Recording which I enjoy very much -- Moiseiwitsch in Beethoven PC3 -- he seems to find colours and a certain sadness which Annie Fischer, for example, misses.

And an interesting first movement cadenza by Carl Reinecke

It's in mono. But the sound seems pretty good to me -- a Marton transfer on Naxos.

Verena

QuoteQuite good! Quite good!

They are supreme examples of Bach interpretation. Full of joy.

I have to admit that I usually have problems with Schwarzkopf, though I like the Schubert recital with Edwin Fischer .  :( I find the way she colours (actually disfigures, in my view) vowels downright ugly at times (if I remember correctly, for example, German "e" becomes "u", or something like this.) I have also noticed other singers doing this, but not to this extent. Also, her interpretations often sound horribly affected to my ears. What a shame that she was usually preferred to the far more natural sounding Elisabeth Gruemmer, whose singing in her younger years sometimes had a kind of unmatched beauty IMO -  perhaps heard to best effect on the Kempe Brahms Requiem - the soprano movement on that disc may be my favorite piece of singing.
That said, I don't know Schwarzkopf's Bach. Perhaps I should give it a try.. 
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

Daverz

cosmicj

Quote from: Verena on May 15, 2010, 07:22:21 AM
I have to admit that I usually have problems with Schwarzkopf, though I like the Schubert recital with Edwin Fischer .  :( I find the way she colours (actually disfigures, in my view) vowels downright ugly at times (if I remember correctly, for example, German "e" becomes "u", or something like this.) I have also noticed other singers doing this, but not to this extent. Also, her interpretations often sound horribly affected to my ears. What a shame that she was usually preferred to the far more natural sounding Elisabeth Gruemmer, whose singing in her younger years sometimes had a kind of unmatched beauty IMO -  perhaps heard to best effect on the Kempe Brahms Requiem - the soprano movement on that disc may be my favorite piece of singing.
That said, I don't know Schwarzkopf's Bach. Perhaps I should give it a try..

verena - You are very clearly much more knowledgeable about singing and vocal technique than I am.  I grant that completely.  But I think you are missing something about Schwarzkopf.  I was just listening to her 1954 Cosi (the one with Karajan conducting).  A terrific, spirited recording all the way through (ex Nan Merriman  :)).  When Schwarzkopf performs, the whole level of the music is taken to a new height.  It's like she's an electric jolt to the rest of the performers.  She's a star (and I'm sure you'll admit a very technically accomplished one). 

knight66

From memory, Schwartzkopf's Bach all dates from early in her international career. I don't think it was ever subject to the kind of micro-hyper-criticism that her husband, Walter Legge EMI producer, put her through in her song output.

He would sometimes push her to 20 takes of a song to get what he, rather than she, wanted out of it. For such a formidable woman, she was pretty much putty in his hands as far as interpretation for disc was concerned.

The only Bach I know of from her, a disc of cantatas and the famous Karajan rehearsals of St Matthew with Ferrier, his B Minor and the Klemperer St M sound relatively unaffected.

I like her a great deal and have quite a few of her recordings; but can understand that some people find her output overworked.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Coopmv

I enjoyed this set I bought two years ago very much even if the SQ is not quite the best ...

The new erato

Anybody notice this on the release lists?

Truly legendary - or not?

George

Quote from: erato on July 08, 2010, 10:21:01 AM
Anybody notice this on the release lists?

Truly legendary - or not?

Truly legendary indeed and a cheap way to get all of those superb performances.

The new erato

Quote from: George on July 08, 2010, 10:35:07 AM
Truly legendary indeed and a cheap way to get all of those superb performances.
Thanks. All of 8 quid for 4 discs.