Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on September 23, 2011, 08:44:39 AM
Baryton Trios and Operas. I've got pretty good coverage outside those. Pretty wide coverage anyway, if not very deep.

The are 2 disks on Gaudeamus (ASV):

[asin]B00004RCZB[/asin][asin]B000025UCO[/asin] and you know, if you only wanted a nice sample of the trios, these would be a great choice. On the downside, I got them 4 years ago at BRO for $3.99 ea, and they are not available at that price any longer...  :-\  The are available though, which is a good thing.

Another choice that I like, and which can be had fairly easily, is this one on Dorian:

[asin]B000001QBA[/asin]

which also features Hsu, probably because there wasn't another Barytonist around at the time. :)  I made do very nicely with those 3 disks for several years until I got the Brilliant Complete set. That's a lot of baryton music to choke down, though. :)

Operas, I don't have much to add to the discussion that Leon and I were having. You would be able to get Acide from BIS with Huss and Co., and Der Apotheker on Berlin Classics. There is only 1 version ever recorded of Le Pescatrici which is this one:
[asin]B002EYMIPK[/asin]
which is a shame because it is most enjoyable, even though it was partially lost and recompleted by Robbins-Landon. It is hard to tell where the seams are. :)

And finally, another that was thought to be incomplete, but actually isn't. Composed in 1792 for London, it is Orfeo et Eurydice, his last opera, also not in the Dorati box since in 1980 they thought it was just unfinished. I have Le Stagioni Frankfurt doing it on DHM, it is excellent. So that takes care of everything except La Cantarina which I can give you more details on later. 13 operas, piece of cake compared to some. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on September 23, 2011, 08:42:59 AM
Yeh, I've seen that Solti box of operas but have held off.  I have the Orlando Paladino and Armida with Harnoncourt and was hoping for more from him before I invested in a bunch from Solti.  In the back of my mind I'm hoping Rene Jacobs does for Haydn what  he's done for Mozart, but that is no doubt a long shot, since Mozart's operas are much more often performed and arguably masterpieces while Haydn's may fall short of that description.

Regarding the Masses, the Weil sounds like something right in my wheelhouse.  I had briefly thought about the Trinity Choir set on Naxos, but would probably prefer Weil since I love his work on the symphonies.

Thanks for the ideas.

Dorati... 0:)  Anyway, the version that's in 1 box/20 disks can be had for $65, worth every penny. Only way to get many of them. There are a few other singles around too, but not easy to find them. :)

I suspect the Weil would suit you nicely. They are done more or less like chamber masses. Gardiner et al do a brilliant job with their 6, but they are done in a manner suitable for St Stephan's Cathedral in Vienna than the actual chapel in Esterhazy. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 23, 2011, 08:39:23 AM
I have this one;  I'm suprised you don't have it, Gurn, as I think you would like it as much as the others (although I don't have the others so I can't really compare them)
[asin]B002IVRBBU[/asin]
Can't speak to the operas, unfortunately, since I have no recordings of those.

Well, if I hadn't already had 3 sets I probably would have had that one, Jeffrey. I like Glover, she has a way with an orchestra. There was nothing militating against it, other than me being 'massed out'. :D 

If you do opera at all, I would rec that Harnoncourt Orlando... disk. I really think you might like it. :)

8)

Leon

Argh! - my brain is going - yes! Dorati. 

As an aside it was years before I realized his first name was NOT Anatol.

So, I have have a history of bothcing his name.

:)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 23, 2011, 08:27:24 AM
Masses are a harder choice. I have Gardiner's "6 Great Masses", which are the last 6 after he returned from London. Also have Hickox' "Complete Masses" and Bruno Weil's "Complete Masses", Weil goes for smaller ensemble, which is more appropriate since Haydn's chapel was tiny. Hickox is nice though, I like them both, so it depends on what you feel more appropriate.

Choices from those would certainly keep your listening hours filled for quite some time. Of course, everyone has different preferences, but I don't know any non-PI choices to offer you... :)

8)

Ah YES. Haydn's incredible masses! I am currently enjoying the only mass box I have, besides the Gardiner set:

I can't find the words to describe the sublimity found in this sacred music.

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on September 24, 2011, 08:32:52 AM
Ah YES. Haydn's incredible masses! I am currently enjoying the only mass box I have, besides the Gardiner set:

I can't find the words to describe the sublimity found in this sacred music.

8)

Leo,
Indeed, even I, an essentially non-liturgical sort of fellow, find the music here superb and worth many listenings. I particularly like the Harmoniemesse, of course, with its orchestra comprised of a wind octet, but also the Paukenmesse is hugely appealing, perhaps moreso than any of its competition. :)

Is that box the Academy of Saint Martin etc? I note that even Amazon keep it a closely held secret. :D

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 24, 2011, 08:42:07 AM
Leo,
Indeed, even I, an essentially non-liturgical sort of fellow, find the music here superb and worth many listenings. I particularly like the Harmoniemesse, of course, with its orchestra comprised of a wind octet, but also the Paukenmesse is hugely appealing, perhaps moreso than any of its competition. :)

Is that box the Academy of Saint Martin etc? I note that even Amazon keep it a closely held secret. :D

8)

Gurn, the personal is St Johns College Choir, Kings College Choir,Christ Church Cathedral Choir with three conductors taking on different masses, they are (the last names anyways): Preston, Guest and Wilcox.

8)

I would like to get the Naxos box, because I eventually want a PI version, but this set is awesome in every way.

8)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Leo K on September 24, 2011, 11:06:06 AM
Gurn, the personal is St Johns College Choir, Kings College Choir,Christ Church Cathedral Choir with three conductors taking on different masses, they are (the last names anyways): Preston, Guest and Wilcox.

8)

I would like to get the Naxos box, because I eventually want a PI version, but this set is awesome in every way.

8)

Yes, yes and yes! Don't have the box, but these older packages:

And I have the Gardiner and I'm curious about the Naxos.

What is this, Haydn Collectors Anonymous?
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI ยง217

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Leo K on September 24, 2011, 11:06:06 AM

Hi, Leo. I love Haydn's masses, too. IMO the best version available (period instruments or not) is performed by Tafelmusik, conducted by Bruno Weil. Although it's not a complete set (like was a previous Brilliant Classics incarnation), you can find a 4-CD set with the last six masses really cheap at AMP:

[asin]B001TQ1KBW[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on September 24, 2011, 11:26:01 AM
Hi, Leo. I love Haydn's masses, too. IMO the best version available (period instruments or not) is performed by Tafelmusik, conducted by Bruno Weil. Although it's not a complete set (like was a previous Brilliant Classics incarnation), you can find a 4-CD set with the last six masses really cheap at AMP:

[asin]B001TQ1KBW[/asin]

I was going to rec that same one. I have the Brilliant set, but you have to have connections to get it (it was only released in the Benelux countries), but the 6 Late Masses is the cream of the crop, and I saw it on AMP today for $12 brand new!! That's a bargain in anyone's book!  :)

Quote from: chasmaniac on September 24, 2011, 11:20:24 AM

What is this, Haydn Collectors Anonymous?

Why yes, yes it is.   0:)

8)

SonicMan46

OK - I love Masses from all periods but do I need more than one or two versions of anyone's compositions of these works?  ;) :D

Now for Papa Joe, I own the Gardiner 3-CD set & the Naxos box; I love Weil & Tafelmusik and now at Amazon for $12 for 4 discs, hard to resist, but I would 'cull out' the Gardiner - just a storage issue - now for those who have heard Gardiner & Weil, which is preferable?  I'm keeping the Naxos box.  Thanks for comments - :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 24, 2011, 02:24:04 PM
OK - I love Masses from all periods but do I need more than one or two versions of anyone's compositions of these works?  ;) :D

Now for Papa Joe, I own the Gardiner 3-CD set & the Naxos box; I love Weil & Tafelmusik and now at Amazon for $12 for 4 discs, hard to resist, but I would 'cull out' the Gardiner - just a storage issue - now for those who have heard Gardiner & Weil, which is preferable?  I'm keeping the Naxos box.  Thanks for comments - :)

Weil. Unless you really do love big expansive masses, in which case Gardiner is lovely. Weil is chamber music. Gardiner is virtually Handelian in comparison. :)

My opinion, of course.

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 24, 2011, 02:27:35 PM
Weil. Unless you really do love big expansive masses, in which case Gardiner is lovely. Weil is chamber music. Gardiner is virtually Handelian in comparison. :)

My opinion, of course.

Thanks Gurn - my feeling too!  Just put in my AMP order for the Weil Haydn Masses - but now should I 'cull out' the Gardiner?  The current listing on Amazon USA for a 'new' Gardiner set on the MP is $82!  I believe that my purchase was years ago as a BMG member for almost nothing - can't remember the cost?  Well, guess that I can squeeze space someplace?  ;) ;D  Dave

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 24, 2011, 02:36:06 PM
Thanks Gurn - my feeling too!  Just put in my AMP order for the Weil Haydn Masses - but now should I 'cull out' the Gardiner?  The current listing on Amazon USA for a 'new' Gardiner set on the MP is $82!  I believe that my purchase was years ago as a BMG member for almost nothing - can't remember the cost?  Well, guess that I can squeeze space someplace?  ;) ;D  Dave

Yeah, the price is ludicrous. You can buy the 3 individual boxes for <>$30 total, although the picture of Gardiner and the chair on the bigger box is the least ridiculous of the bunch... :D

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 24, 2011, 02:27:35 PM
My opinion, of course.

Your opinion, but you're not alone. My preferences here are Weil (which IMO is perfect) and the Naxos set which is overall very good. Several times I have considered Harnoncourt, but I finally find his masses (as Gardiner's) excessively big boned.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on September 24, 2011, 02:57:08 PM
Your opinion, but you're not alone. My preferences here are Weil (which IMO is perfect) and the Naxos set which is overall very good. Several times I have considered Harnoncourt, but I finally find his masses (as Gardiner's) excessively big boned.

Ah, I was looking at those 4 Harnoncourt masses this afternoon and wondering about them. Well, that seems to settle that then. :) Thanks,

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 24, 2011, 02:58:23 PM
Ah, I was looking at those 4 Harnoncourt masses this afternoon and wondering about them. Well, that seems to settle that then. :) Thanks,

8)

Yesterday, I had that box in my hands, but I finally chose 2 CDs of Alessandro Scarlatti.

Sorry "Papa", it will not happen again!  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on September 24, 2011, 03:03:22 PM
Yesterday, I had that box in my hands, but I finally chose 2 CDs of Alessandro Scarlatti.

Sorry "Papa", it will not happen again!  ;D

Yes, I saw your acquisition in another thread. You mean that you can actually go somewhere and touch a CD before buying/not buying it? What a marvel!  :o  :o 

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 24, 2011, 03:09:11 PM
Yes, I saw your acquisition in another thread. You mean that you can actually go somewhere and touch a CD before buying/not buying it? What a marvel!  :o  :o 

8)

Yes, here in Santiago still exist two or three small physical stores and a big one, with four o five stores in different zones of the city. But just the latter has prices internationally competitive.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on September 24, 2011, 03:20:28 PM
Yes, here in Santiago still exist two or three small physical stores and a big one, with four o five stores in different zones of the city. But just the latter has prices internationally competitive.

I would pay a little extra for the chance to touch.... :)

8)