Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ritter

steve ridgway

Quote from: ritter on June 17, 2024, 06:20:13 AMWould that also apply to classical music forums?

No, classical music strengthens the mind ;) .

Todd

Quote from: ritter on June 17, 2024, 06:20:13 AMWould that also apply to classical music forums?

That depends on the zealousness of the people compiling any list or lists of "platforms" subject to such warnings.  Arbitrary and capricious rules are the best.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Todd

Karl Henning

"Sean Foley, curator of herpetology at the Riverbanks Zoo & Garden in Columbia, said the reptile is a harmless watersnake, "most likely" a brown watersnake, The State reported."

Well, who knew water snakes grew that big?

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending/what-beast-huge-snake-found-by-hiker-near-south-carolina-creek/MHQLESN6VJFRFJVHYSJ7SD2FLA/
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: Todd on June 18, 2024, 01:46:55 PMFrom CNBC: Nvidia passes Microsoft in market cap to become most valuable public company

From Fortune: Nvidia rally continues as analyst projects chipmaker to reach $5 trillion valuation

Not a bubble.

Nvidia planned well when they jumped into machine learning and hardware AI before it exploded. They've positioned themselves very well.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 19, 2024, 08:38:59 AM"Sean Foley, curator of herpetology at the Riverbanks Zoo & Garden in Columbia, said the reptile is a harmless watersnake, "most likely" a brown watersnake, The State reported."

Well, who knew water snakes grew that big?

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending/what-beast-huge-snake-found-by-hiker-near-south-carolina-creek/MHQLESN6VJFRFJVHYSJ7SD2FLA/

Sean Foley says it's harmless, but what's a water snake that large feeding on? The water snakes I've seen eat crickets and guppies. I don't see this feller settling for such a diet.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Quote from: DavidW on June 19, 2024, 09:38:49 AMNvidia planned well when they jumped into machine learning and hardware AI before it exploded. They've positioned themselves very well.

Being positioned well is one thing; having a market cap over fifty times gross revenue with a PE ratio of eighty is another.  These types of stock runs have occurred before.  They all end the same way.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Considering it. CNN: This $50 shiatsu massager is like a massage therapist for my neck and shoulders.

https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/reviews/mo-cuishle-shiatsu-massager

Todd

DavidW

I'm tempted to put it down to a culture of out of control publish or perish mentality in US higher ed. It has gotten to the point where profs are churning out several papers a year working on trivial problems without much time to be thoughtful nor groundbreaking.

But it could just be a larger quantity and better financial support in China. More papers mean more important papers as well.

Todd

Quote from: DavidW on June 20, 2024, 08:47:40 AMBut it could just be a larger quantity and better financial support in China. More papers mean more important papers as well.

Evidently, China cranks out a lot of lower quality papers as well, but the important story is that it has basically reached parity with the west qualitatively.  Some people will be uncomfortable with that for various reasons.

One of the more interesting tidbits to me was the relative emphasis that China places on agricultural science.  It makes sense from not only a strategic standpoint, but also an ecological adaptation standpoint.  Greenhouse gas emissions ain't goin' nowhere soon, and climatic changes and resulting shifts in land productivity along with factors such as crop disease virulence necessitate more comprehensive food production strategies. My cheeseburgers gotta come from somewhere, so researchers gotta solve that problem.  I don't care if the solutions come from Haidian or Ithaca.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on June 20, 2024, 08:47:40 AMI'm tempted to put it down to a culture of out of control publish or perish mentality in US higher ed. It has gotten to the point where profs are churning out several papers a year working on trivial problems without much time to be thoughtful nor groundbreaking.

But it could just be a larger quantity and better financial support in China. More papers mean more important papers as well.

It is about funding, not just the level of funding, but the requirements and hoops that must be jumped through. Historically U.S. funding for science and technology research grew faster than the economy, then it grew but not as fast as the economy, then it grew, but not faster than inflation, then it actually shrunk when the Great Recession hit. I'm not sure where it is now.

Then the funding mechanisms changed. A university based researcher will typically have to spend 100% of his or her time applying or supporting grant proposals. The proposals are required to specify in detail what will be discovered and how it will be economically beneficial. It makes it extremely difficult to fund anything that deviates from scientific consensus. Only a small group of superstar researcher get big foundation grants (Howard Hughes Institute, etc) which allow them to bypass this. This has eviscerated scientific research efforts in the U.S.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 20, 2024, 11:35:11 AMThe proposals are required to specify in detail what will be discovered and how it will be economically beneficial.

IOW, Kepler, Galilei and Newton would have been denied any grant whatsoever.  ;D
When I'm creating at the piano, I tend to feel happy; but - the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others? I'd do everything I could to give everyone a moment of happiness. That's what's at the heart of my music. — Nino Rota

Todd

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Todd

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 20, 2024, 01:19:20 PMThe second, basic research funding, seems to reflect an increase not keeping pace with inflation. Healthy funding growth would keep pace with gdp growth.

Not really.  A portion of basic research is funded by the private sector as well, and always has been.

Also, "keeping pace with inflation" is not the same as "eviscerated".

As with everything else, more money is always needed