Mahler Mania, Rebooted

Started by Greta, May 01, 2007, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat B

A couple of years ago, somebody started a blind comparison of the 2nd with "Urlicht" then left the forum before identifying most of the contenders. (He did identify the one that I and the group liked least, Bernstein on DG.) I eventually determined my favorite from that slate to be the critically-disdained Jansons in Oslo on Chandos, and bought that. But at both ends my judgement was primarily about the style of the alto, not necessarily representative of the overall performance.

I currently own 7 versions and have heard a few more, but TBH I'd have trouble, without resorting to head-to-head comparisons, putting any of them in front of the others. (That's somewhat unusual for me.)

In case anyone cares, my inventory is:
Mehta on Decca (my first)
Klemperer studio on EMI
Bernstein on Sony
Bernstein video
Walter on Sony
Kaplan with LSO
Jansons on Chandos

EDIT: I wrote this before ørfeo posted his comment. But I was in a different listening group.

North Star

I can heartily second the Boulez and Gielen from Jens' list. I also have Klemperer's recording, which I haven't heard in a long time, but also recall liking. The Boulez and Gielen have better sound quality, the Boulez fits on a single disc, but the Gielen has marvelous fillers in Kurtág's Stele and Schoenberg's Kol Nidre..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 09, 2017, 07:30:21 AM
1. Pierre Boulez, WPh, DG

I like the Boulez too. A good choice for an introduction to this marvelous symphony. Consider also Kaplan/Vienna.

My other favorites are too individual (i.e., mannered) to recommend so I won't bother listing them.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Parsifal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 09, 2017, 01:48:42 PM
I like the Boulez too. A good choice for an introduction to this marvelous symphony. Consider also Kaplan/Vienna.

My other favorites are too individual (i.e., mannered) to recommend so I won't bother listing them.

Sarge

Boulez, Meh. Nobody mentioned my favorite:

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on November 09, 2017, 01:49:29 PM
Boulez, Meh. Nobody mentioned my favorite:

That's mine too, but like I said, I wouldn't recommend it for a first experience.

Sarge

Parsifal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 09, 2017, 01:50:39 PM
That's mine too, but like I said, I wouldn't recommend it for a first experience.

Sarge

It was my first experience, didn't do me any harm.  :)

(I got mine before they invented the double jewel case, so it came in two separate jewel cases.)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on November 09, 2017, 01:51:59 PM
It was my first experience, didn't do me any harm.  :)

That's debatable  ;D

Sarge

relm1

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 09, 2017, 01:50:39 PM

Sarge

Explain sarge.

relm1

One thing I find extremely interesting, the consensus seems to be a Mahler 2 virgin should get a different version than a Mahlerian.  I am very curious for more details about this.  I consider myself an expert (I have performed it and own 11 recordings and it was the first professional concert I ever attended) but find no single recording to fulfill my imagination of the work.  Though I have heard it a bazillian times, I must confess still tearing up at hearing it this morning.  Though the performances I heard left me lacking. What a fantastic work.

kishnevi

Of forty plus recordings I have there are three I dislike: Norrington, Abbado/VPO, and Abbado/Lucerne. My top favorites are Bernstein/DG, MTT/SFO, and Abbado/CSO. For a newbie, I would suggest Mehta/VPO, Kaplan/VPO or even better, a DVD--Chailly/Gewandhaus.

But other than those three I specified above, there is not an M2 I would not gladly listen to, and that does not give me an emotional uprush when the chorus kicks in.

brunumb

This is the recording that started my Mahler addiction:

Pat B

Quote from: relm1 on November 09, 2017, 04:37:13 PM
One thing I find extremely interesting, the consensus seems to be a Mahler 2 virgin should get a different version than a Mahlerian.

I think the idea is to avoid causing someone to imprint on an idiosyncratic or controversial version. For example, my first version of Beethoven 4 was Leinsdorf, which is mostly fine, but he changes the rhythm at the first Allegro vivace, and it took me a long time to accept the correct rhythm. I haven't heard Maazel's Mahler 2 but I suspect he takes some part of it unusually slowly, or made some other love-it-or-hate-it interpretive decision.

André

True. Listening to the 6th symphony in Barbirolli's version would have that same effect on a newcomer.

Parsifal

One thing I find extremely interesting, the consensus seems to be a Mahler 2 virgin should get a different version than a Mahlerian.  I am very curious for more details about this.  I consider myself an expert (I have performed it and own 11 recordings and it was the first professional concert I ever attended) but find no single recording to fulfill my imagination of the work.  Though I have heard it a bazillian times, I must confess still tearing up at hearing it this morning.  Though the performances I heard left me lacking. What a fantastic work.

I'm not so sure I agree, but the rational may be that a newbie would benefit from a mainstream performance but someone that already has several recordings of the work would gain more by getting an oddball recording.

SurprisedByBeauty

Maybe there's something to it: That someone who knows the work well can appreciate deviation from it better... or at least knows not to be mislead by it.
Sometimes I think an interpretation is very suitable for a beginner, because it allows a particular insight that helps. If you had asked about M3 and I had answered with Boulez again, that would have been such a case... because in the Third Boulez lives up to the stereotype and delivers a see-through account; accurate and transparent like few others. But usually Boulez's Mahler is quite passionate and searing, actually. (Only his 8th is a dead-on-arrival-dud.) Point being that, in this case, I should like to point out that my recommendations were straight up; I think these are among the very best recordings of the work for veteran and newbie alike.

Meanwhile I agree w/Jeffrey's dislike for Abbado/Vienna, though not Abbado/Lucerne; Maazel is one of the few cycles I don't have; I dislike the Solti (most of Solti's Mahler, actually, except his Sixth, which Sarge thankfully converted me to!

Jo498

Quote from: Pat B on November 09, 2017, 06:09:28 PM
I think the idea is to avoid causing someone to imprint on an idiosyncratic or controversial version.
Sure, but this seems in no way special about Mahler or a particular symphony of his.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

bwv 1080

Quote from: relm1 on November 09, 2017, 07:04:18 AM
What is your favorite recording of Mahler's No. 2?  Basically if you were going to introduce someone to this work which recording would you demonstrate the work with?

Kubelik

Pat B

Quote from: Jo498 on November 10, 2017, 02:02:37 AM
Sure, but this seems in no way special about Mahler or a particular symphony of his.

It isn't.

aukhawk

Quote from: ørfeo on November 09, 2017, 01:30:55 PM
... There was a blind listening a few years ago that never got completed, and so I have a 1st movement that I know I really enjoyed but no idea who the conductor and orchestra were.

Me too!  It was P3 in my case.  I still listen to it and prefer it to any other I've heard so far, with the exception of Bernstein/DG (which is similar, but even more over-wrought).  I never listen past the 1st movement anyway, it stands alone very well IMHO.