Your favorite EMI, Hanssler, Nimbus, BIS...

Started by MN Dave, April 07, 2008, 05:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Dave

Those are three of the labels on iTunes that provide Plus files (meaning more kbps, meaning better sound).

So, here I inquire, what are your favorite recordings from these labels?

If you are familiar with the iTunes store and know of other essential recordings on labels that I have not listed, which are in the Plus format, feel free to list those here as well.

Thanks!

BorisG

Quote from: MN Dave on April 07, 2008, 05:46:01 AM
Those are three of the labels on iTunes that provide Plus files (meaning more kbps, meaning better sound).

So, here I inquire, what are your favorite recordings from these labels?

If you are familiar with the iTunes store and know of other essential recordings on labels that I have not listed, which are in the Plus format, feel free to list those here as well.

Thanks!

Hanssler - Gielen
Nimbus - Boughton
EMI - Klemperer, Karajan, Tennstedt, Barbirolli, Muti, Beecham, Boult, Groves, Handley, Jansons, Previn, Gavrilov, Argerich, Michelangeli, Barenboim, Gelber, Ciccolini, Zacharias, Andsnes, Oistrakh

MN Dave

Quote from: BorisG on April 07, 2008, 09:09:44 AM
Hanssler - Gielen
Nimbus - Boughton
EMI - Klemperer, Karajan, Tennstedt, Barbirolli, Muti, Beecham, Boult, Groves, Handley, Jansons, Previn, Gavrilov, Argerich, Michelangeli, Barenboim, Gelber, Ciccolini, Zacharias, Andsnes, Oistrakh

Everything those artists record is gold?

The new erato

Ask a broad question and you get a broad answer............

BorisG

Quote from: MN Dave on April 07, 2008, 09:14:47 AM
Everything those artists record is gold?

It is, until you mention an hourly wage for this request. 8)

MN Dave

Quote from: erato on April 07, 2008, 09:42:33 AM
Ask a broad question and you get a broad answer............

Too bad I didn't ask a broad question.

MN Dave

Quote from: BorisG on April 07, 2008, 09:46:47 AM
It is, until you mention an hourly wage for this request. 8)

I see how you are.

The new erato

Quote from: MN Dave on April 07, 2008, 10:01:12 AM
Favorite recordings from EMI who have the worlds largest vaults of recordings? With no indications of genres, preferences etc? You don't call that broad? OK; I'll recommend toy the Beatles catalogue then.................

MN Dave

Quote from: erato on April 07, 2008, 10:11:12 AM
Favorite recordings from EMI who have the worlds largest vaults of recordings? With no indications of genres, preferences etc? You don't call that broad? OK; I'll recommend toy the Beatles catalogue then.................

Okay, never mind then.

Brian

Quote from: MN Dave on April 07, 2008, 10:01:12 AM
My favorite Hanssler discs include Dvorak Cello Concerto (Peter Bruns) and Brahms' Third and Fourth Symphonies (Michael Gielen). Gielen's Mahler has received high acclaim from some quarters. If you like exploring romantic music that's off the beaten path, find the Goetz Violin Concerto, conducted by Schuricht. Hanssler also has lots with conductor Roger Norrington, who is very eccentric and whom you will either love or hate.

As for EMI, check out Rudolf Kempe's R Strauss recordings, for one thing.

MN Dave

Quote from: Brian on April 07, 2008, 12:05:56 PM
My favorite Hanssler discs include Dvorak Cello Concerto (Peter Bruns) and Brahms' Third and Fourth Symphonies (Michael Gielen). Gielen's Mahler has received high acclaim from some quarters. If you like exploring romantic music that's off the beaten path, find the Goetz Violin Concerto, conducted by Schuricht. Hanssler also has lots with conductor Roger Norrington, who is very eccentric and whom you will either love or hate.

As for EMI, check out Rudolf Kempe's R Strauss recordings, for one thing.

Thank you, Brian, for the recommendations and for being savvy enough to respond appropriately to my "broad" question.

Keemun

Dave, here are a few that come to mind:

EMI:

Bruckner: Complete Symphonies (Jochum/Staatskapelle Dresden)
Bruckner: Symphonies Nos. 4 and 8 (Celibidache)
Elgar: Cello Concerto (Du Pre/Barbirolli)
Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto (Kogan)

Hanssler:

Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 (Sanderling)
Mahler: Symphonies Nos. 2 and 9 (Gielen) (The rest are supposed to be quite good as well, but I've not heard them.)
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

MN Dave

Quote from: Keemun on April 07, 2008, 12:20:27 PM
Dave, here are a few that come to mind:

EMI:

Bruckner: Complete Symphonies (Jochum/Staatskapelle Dresden)
Bruckner: Symphonies Nos. 4 and 8 (Celibidache)
Elgar: Cello Concerto (Du Pre/Barbirolli)
Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto (Kogan)

Hanssler:

Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 (Sanderling)
Mahler: Symphonies Nos. 2 and 9 (Gielen) (The rest are supposed to be quite good as well, but I've not heard them.)

Thanks, Keemun. I've heard the Elgar but not the other recordings. I've been thinking of trying (again) to get into Bruckner and Mahler, so this really helps.

Brian

Quote from: MN Dave on April 07, 2008, 12:09:51 PM
Thank you, Brian, for the recommendations and for being savvy enough to respond appropriately to my "broad" question.
I'd rather be helpful than picky. :)

If you are looking to just get into Mahler and Bruckner, Gielen's Mahler 1 and 5 would be a handy place to start, though I should not speak, because I am not really into either composer that much.  ;D  The only Bruckner disc I really love is Symph 7, Tintner, Naxos.

Hanssler has some good Elgar, now that I think about it, with Colin Davis.

MN Dave

Quote from: Brian on April 07, 2008, 12:31:42 PM
I'd rather be helpful than picky. :)

If you are looking to just get into Mahler and Bruckner, Gielen's Mahler 1 and 5 would be a handy place to start, though I should not speak, because I am not really into either composer that much.  ;D  The only Bruckner disc I really love is Symph 7, Tintner, Naxos.

Hanssler has some good Elgar, now that I think about it, with Colin Davis.

Thanks again.

I'll listen to pretty much anything if GMGers think a recording is good. Hell, I even bought Schoenberg the other day.  ;D

Brian

Quote from: MN Dave on April 07, 2008, 12:37:20 PM
I'll listen to pretty much anything if GMGers think a recording is good. Hell, I even bought Schoenberg the other day.  ;D
:o  :o  Even I will never stoop to listening to Schoenberg!!!

( ;D )

Keemun

Quote from: Brian on April 07, 2008, 12:47:19 PM
:o  :o  Even I will never stoop to listening to Schoenberg!!!

I tried listening to Schoenberg once or twice, but I didn't inhale.  8)
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Don

I have a particular affection for:

Hanssler - Their Bach organ recordings.
Nimbus - Shostakovich/Scriabin Piano Preludes/Deyanova.

MN Dave

Quote from: Don on April 07, 2008, 01:55:09 PM
I have a particular affection for:

Hanssler - Their Bach organ recordings.
Nimbus - Shostakovich/Scriabin Piano Preludes/Deyanova.

Very helpful. Thanks, Don.

Don

Another great Hanssler entry:

Brahms and his Contemporaries, Vols. 1 and 2 - Cello Sonatas.