Your favorite EMI, Hanssler, Nimbus, BIS...

Started by MN Dave, April 07, 2008, 05:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

I quite like the Shostakovich 15 under Kondrashin on Hanssler. One of the last recordings he made , 1981 IIRC.

Novi

Quote from: Daverz on April 10, 2008, 09:19:44 PM
Another historical that comes to mind now that we've gotten into Bach cantatas: Hotter in Ich Habe Genug.  Lovely mono recording, actually.

Oh, I love the Hotter. The Brahms lieder on the rest of the disk aren't half bad either.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

FideLeo

Quote from: donwyn on April 10, 2008, 09:15:12 PM
Yes, much HIP insight to be had out there, no matter who uses what instrument.

It (who uses what instrument) matters to me!  :D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

MN Dave

Quote from: Daverz on April 10, 2008, 09:19:44 PM
Yeah, get anything by Janet Baker or Christa Ludwig.

Another historical that comes to mind now that we've gotten into Bach cantatas: Hotter in Ich Habe Genug.  Lovely mono recording, actually.

Cool! Thanks.

MN Dave

Quote from: erato on April 10, 2008, 09:27:28 PM
I quite like the Shostakovich 15 under Kondrashin on Hanssler. One of the last recordings he made , 1981 IIRC.

Sweet. Thank you.

MN Dave

BIS is available in iTunes Plus as well. So if anyone has some suggestions for that label, it would be much appreciated.  :)

Que

Quote from: MN Dave on April 11, 2008, 11:07:10 AM
BIS is available in iTunes Plus as well. So if anyone has some suggestions for that label, it would be much appreciated.  :)

Their Sibelius Edition - symphonic works by Vänskä.

And Ronald Brautigam's Mozart and Beethoven sonatas.

Q

The new erato

BIS: The greek dances by Skalkottas. Melodious and charming. Lots of massive and interesting stuff by Jon Leifs.

MN Dave

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: fl.traverso on April 11, 2008, 01:24:56 AM
It (who uses what instrument) matters to me!  :D

I'd never shut myself out like that.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

FideLeo

Quote from: donwyn on April 11, 2008, 04:23:42 PM
I'd never shut myself out like that.

We all make our own choices no?  ;D
To you it's who interprets what.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

The new erato

BIS: Try their Stenhammar discs, particularly symphony  nr 2.

Renfield

Also for BIS, try Yevgeny Sudbin's and Martin Fröst's work; particularly the Scriabin of the former, and the Nielsen Clarinet Concerto of the latter, with Osmo Vänskä and the Lahti Symphony Orchestra.

And seconding the recommendation for Vänskä's Sibelius, of course! 8)

MN Dave

My wife is getting me $30 worth of iTunes today, so I will be shopping tonight. Thanks for the further suggestions, guys.

Que

On Hänssler, besides the organ recordings Don already mentioned, the Bach keyboard (solo) recordings by Robert Hill.

Q

MN Dave

Quote from: Que on April 15, 2008, 08:49:03 AM
On Hänssler, besides the organ recordings Don already mentioned, the Bach keyboard (solo) recordings by Robert Hill.

Q

Very good, Q! I was looking at those. Then there are the Suzukis as well... :)

MN Dave

Speaking of Haydn (else-thread), do any of these labels give good string quartet?

Drasko

Quote from: erato on April 11, 2008, 11:14:55 AM
BIS: The Greek Dances by Skalkottas.

Seconded, especially recommendable for those who enjoy Conan The Barbarian soundtrack. Always sounded to me that Poledouris got lots of inspiration from these.

If they are expensive on iTunes you can download complete set zipped for $6 from eclassical