Your favorite EMI, Hanssler, Nimbus, BIS...

Started by MN Dave, April 07, 2008, 05:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Dave

Quote from: Keemun on April 08, 2008, 08:45:29 AM
Is this the Kubelik recording you are referring to?  I'm not familiar with it but I might have to add it to my wishlist. 

That's it.

It got a 10/10 at Classics Today. So I purchased it and am very happy. But I can't get anyone else on this forum to admit they've listened to it. ;)

stingo

EMI: Elgar: Cello Concerto - du Pre/Barbirolli
EMI: Satie: Piano Works - Ciccolini
Haenssler: Mendelssohn: Midsummer Night's Dream - Rilling

MN Dave

Thanks, stingo!

Well, iTunes reimbursed me...

99 cents.  ::)

Time to send another email to India or wherever it's going...

Que

Quote from: MN Dave on April 08, 2008, 08:49:46 AM
That's it.

It got a 10/10 at Classics Today. So I purchased it and am very happy. But I can't get anyone else on this forum to admit they've listened to it. ;)

Well, now you have.. ;D

Kubelik's reading is a very detailed, sensual, late-Romantic ("Mahlerian") one, and slower than Klemperer.
Very beautiful and intriguing, though maybe not entirely idiomatic.

Given my experiences with his Schubert masses, I think Bruno Weil should have a go at Brahms' Requiem.

Q

MN Dave

Quote from: Que on April 08, 2008, 09:09:40 PM
Well, now you have.. ;D

Kubelik's reading is a very detailed, sensual, late-Romantic ("Mahlerian") one, and slower than Klemperer.
Very beautiful and intriguing, though maybe not entirely idiomatic.

Given my experiences with his Schubert masses, I think Bruno Weil should have a go at Brahms' Requiem.

Q

Thanks, Q! Thanks for not saying it sucks.  ;D

Papy Oli

Dave,

I only have one Hanssler CD, Gielen's Mahler Second Symphony and yes, surprisingly, i'd recommend it too  ;D

As for EMI, this one is the absolute gem in my small portion of EMI recordings :

just stunning :)

Olivier

marvinbrown

Quote from: Don on April 07, 2008, 01:55:09 PM
I have a particular affection for:

Hanssler - Their Bach organ recordings.
Nimbus - Shostakovich/Scriabin Piano Preludes/Deyanova.

Don might I be permitted to add to your list the Bach Cantatas (Rilling) on the Hanssler label??  I simply love the recordings of the cantatas on that label.

marvin

MN Dave

Quote from: papy on April 09, 2008, 12:01:05 PM
Dave,

I only have one Hanssler CD, Gielen's Mahler Second Symphony and yes, surprisingly, i'd recommend it too  ;D

As for EMI, this one is the absolute gem in my small portion of EMI recordings :

just stunning :)

Thanks, papy. I think I have that EMI actually. I'll have to check when I get home.

MN Dave

Quote from: marvinbrown on April 09, 2008, 12:16:01 PM
  Don might I be permitted to add to your list the Bach Cantatas (Rilling) on the Hanssler label??  I simply love the recordings of the cantatas on that label.

marvin

Thanks for adding, Marvin.

Que

Quote from: marvinbrown on April 09, 2008, 12:16:01 PM

marvin

Marvin, seriously?  :o
Personally, Rilling gives me the "rillingen" (creeps). What about Leonhardt, Harnoncourt, Herreweghe, Suzuki, Koopman or Kuijken? I'd take any of those over Rilling... :-X

Q

marvinbrown

Quote from: Que on April 09, 2008, 12:24:49 PM
Personally, Rilling gives me the "rillingen" (creeps). What about Leonhardt, Harnoncourt, Herreweghe, Suzuki, Koopman or Kuijken? I'd take any of those over Rilling... :-X

Q

Que I picked up Cantatas 82, 208 and 209 and I was blown away by them!  To each his own I guess  :-\.  I love Suzuki as well but also found Rilling very appealing for some reason.

Daverz

Personally, Rilling gives me the "rillingen" (creeps).

Come on, you can't throw a comment like that out there without explaining it.  Why would any performance of the cantatas give one the "creeps".

Dancing Divertimentian

Q

Well, to be honest, I'd rate Rilling over everyone on that list except Herreweghe, who's king for me.

Though admittedly I favor Rilling's later, more HIP influenced performances over his earlier ones, which tend to be on the bigger, pre-HIP side.

It really comes down to detail for me. Who's best at fleshing out all those inner voices in the music. I get juiced when hidden subtleties come zinging across the musical line...it gives the music such an added kick.

I've never gotten along with many notables in Bach's cantatas for this very reason. For me Rilling does a pretty good job at opening up the music and showing me all its hidden parts.

I would still rate others over Rilling, like Herreweghe, Coin, Goebel, Goodman, etc... But for my money one could do worse than Rilling...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Que

Quote from: marvinbrown on April 09, 2008, 12:39:08 PM
  Que I picked up Cantatas 82, 208 and 209 and I was blown away by them!  To each his own I guess  :-\.  I love Suzuki as well but also found Rilling very appealing for some reason.

Indeed, each to his own. :)
Apart from the hyperbolic word play, sorry about that Daverz.., Rilling doesnt get to me at all. Maybe it's because he is not quite HIP, but accents, rhythmic threatment, projection of the text, it all doesn't agree with me. Very much middle-of-the-road in the not so positive meaning of the term IMO. But judging from the comments, by donwyn for instance, he clearly has his admirors... 8)

Q

Don

Quote from: donwyn on April 09, 2008, 08:20:12 PM
I would still rate others over Rilling, like Herreweghe, Coin, Goebel, Goodman, etc... But for my money one could do worse than Rilling...

I think well of modern instrument performances played in a HIP manner, and Rilling does a fine job.  But I do prefer Muller-Bruhl on Naxos whose approach is similar.

FideLeo

Hanssler has some HIP Bach recordings with period instruments - WTC s by Robert Levin,
Bach keyboard music recorded by various harpsichordists - Robert Hill for example.
The Musical Offering with von der Goltz etc. uses a Silbermann fortepiano in the trio and
first ricercar, to a wonderful effect.   
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

MN Dave

I think Bach is my new favorite composer so this discussion of his music is timely.

marvinbrown

Quote from: MN Dave on April 10, 2008, 05:53:19 AM
I think Bach is my new favorite composer so this discussion of his music is timely.

You chose well, there really isn't a shortage of GREAT music from that man!  Bach is one of those very rare composers that wrote a lot of music that is without exaggeration consistently superb across the board!  You really can't go wrong here.

marvin

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Don on April 09, 2008, 10:00:55 PM
I think well of modern instrument performances played in a HIP manner, and Rilling does a fine job.  But I do prefer Muller-Bruhl on Naxos whose approach is similar.

Yes, much HIP insight to be had out there, no matter who uses what instrument.

Appreciate the Naxos tip!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Daverz

Quote from: papy on April 09, 2008, 12:01:05 PM

Yeah, get anything by Janet Baker or Christa Ludwig.

Another historical that comes to mind now that we've gotten into Bach cantatas: Hotter in Ich Habe Genug.  Lovely mono recording, actually.