"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

chasmaniac

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 27, 2011, 05:30:05 AM
Haydn String Quartet D minor op.76/2 "Fifths" Jerusalem Quartet

Sarge

Don't know that recording, but The Fifths is one of my all time favourite anythings by anybody.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: chasmaniac on October 27, 2011, 05:32:31 AM
Don't know that recording, but The Fifths is one of my all time favourite anythings by anybody.

This is my favorite single Haydn quartet CD. There's been much debate recently about period vs modern instruments and the "spirit of Haydn." These performances end the debate as far as I'm concerned.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Another old acquaintance, which I took out of my collection, to play again, after a discussion with a fellow music lover in Australia. When I looked in this box to see when I played this last I saw to my horror that it was August 2007. So long overdue! Time slips through my fingers like water.
I talk about the complete Symphonies by Ferdinand Ries, seen as a Beethoven clone by many, though not by me. Certainly due to the connection Ries had with Beethoven, there are stylistic similarities, but apart from that Ries is his very own man/composer!
I also love the the Zurcher Kamerorchester! It is a very small ensemble, and yet giving such dramatic readings, with so much detail and such apt dynamics, that it has me jumping in my listening seat. Sound is really excellent, a fine stage balance, with not too much dept, that would defeat the object of such a small ensemble. The tempi's are well judged, swift and tight. Its also well rehearsed. A excellent release.

Symphony No. 1 opus 23, in D major.
Symphony No. 2, opus 80, in C minor.
Recorded in 1999.

[asin] B000IY061Q[/asin]

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Harry on October 27, 2011, 05:53:35 AM
Another old acquaintance, which I took out of my collection, to play again, after a discussion with a fellow music lover in Australia. When I looked in this box to see when I played this last I saw to my horror that it was August 2007. So long overdue! Time slips through my fingers like water.
I talk about the complete Symphonies by Ferdinand Ries, seen as a Beethoven clone by many, though not by me. Certainly due to the connection Ries had with Beethoven, there are stylistic similarities, but apart from that Ries is his very own man/composer!
I also love the the Zurcher Kamerorchester! It is a very small ensemble, and yet giving such dramatic readings, with so much detail and such apt dynamics, that it has me jumping in my listening seat. Sound is really excellent, a fine stage balance, with not too much dept, that would defeat the object of such a small ensemble. The tempi's are well judged, swift and tight. Its also well rehearsed. A excellent release.

Symphony No. 1 opus 23, in D major.
Symphony No. 2, opus 80, in C minor.
Recorded in 1999.

[asin] B000IY061Q[/asin]
Two good ones in a row! I was just listening to one of the Ries piano concertos last night...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 27, 2011, 05:37:20 AM
This is my favorite single Haydn quartet CD. There's been much debate recently about period vs modern instruments and the "spirit of Haydn." These performances end the debate as far as I'm concerned.

Sarge
And that's period. !

SonicMan46

Buxtehude, Dietrich - Complete Organ Works w/ Harald Vogel - just arrived, so listening to the first couple of discs this morning - a little pricier that some of the other current offerings but seems to be a forum top choice, so decided to splurge - 7 discs in a box w/ 2 booklets, one on the specifics of the many organs used to make these recordings and also a 153+ page booklet (in 3 languages) concerning the compositions and more about the instruments - :)

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 27, 2011, 07:05:45 AM
Buxtehude, Dietrich - Complete Organ Works w/ Harald Vogel - just arrived, so listening to the first couple of discs this morning - a little pricier that some of the other current offerings but seems to be a forum top choice, so decided to splurge - 7 discs in a box w/ 2 booklets, one on the specifics of the many organs used to make these recordings and also a 153+ page booklet (in 3 languages) concerning the compositions and more about the instruments - :)

A excellent acquirement, still my top choice!

I bought this box for under a tenner, and it is the best bargain I had so far in 2011. I doubt very much that something will top this. Ten CD'S excellently recorded, top performances, and composers you do not normally have on the tip of your tongue. what more is there to wish, a bargain is a bargain. Hard for me to imagine people let this pass by. Anyway its my third run through of this release, and today its the second CD, filled with two gorgeous Symphonies, well written both of them, in very good sound. There is not a boring moment in any of them, and even after 3 hearings I crave for more, and that is saying something. Just buy it, before its gone, and you have to pay top dollars on Amazon for it. ;D

Sir Frederic Cowen, Symphony No. 6 in E major. "The Idyllic".

Samuel Coleridge Taylor, Symphony in A minor.

Aarhus SO, Douglas Bostock.
Recorded in 2005.

[asin]B004VRXEXI[/asin]

Antoine Marchand

Arrived three days ago:

Easily a new favorite, quite better than Pandolfo himself playing these works some years ago with Rinaldo Alessandrini.  :)

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 27, 2011, 07:31:47 AM
Arrived three days ago:

Easily a new favorite, quite better than Pandolfo himself playing these works some years ago with Rinaldo Alessandrini.  :)

That looks tasty, if you have some listening notes, I would love to hear them.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Harry on October 27, 2011, 07:33:39 AM
That looks tasty, if you have some listening notes, I would love to hear them.

Indeed, the alcohol or tea?.....looks very tasty!  :D

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 27, 2011, 07:35:12 AM
Indeed, the alcohol or tea?.....looks very tasty!  :D

I go for the alcohol Ray! ;D

TheGSMoeller

listener

a fine, Russian program, cardio-by-listening:
BORODIN   Symphony 2  in b
BALAKIREV  Islamey (Liapounov orchestration instead of the Casella)
SHOSTAKOVICH   Ballet Suite 1    op. 84
KHACHATURIAN   Gayne - suite 3
Vancouver Symphony O.   /Bramwell Tovey
GLIÈRE    The Red Poppy - complete
St. Petersburg State Symphony O.   / André Anichanov
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Brahmsian

Just came in today from UPS, and got a chance to listen to this great disc, another fine recording by Petrenko/RLPO:

[asin]B005KNOE3G[/asin]

*Can't really complain about these performances at all.  However, if anything, I have a slight preference for Barshai/WDR for the 12th.

Lethevich

.[asin]B00005B47D[/asin]
Great stuff. Give him a try - fantastical shades of Weber, Mendelssohn, Berlioz and Liszt abound. This one is a different performance, but it seems good too:

http://www.youtube.com/v/tMN8k4sR8NQ
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Conor71

Haydn: String Quartets, Op. 50 [Disc 13]

Listening includes the "Dream" and "Frog" Quartets - not that familar with any of these works but its good music! :)

Lethevich

Though it went totally against his personality, I still cannot help but wish that Celi recorded the original version of the 3rd as well - he could probably find a way to make it tie together beautifully if this performance is any evidence of his belief in the work (at least in its final form). Really super!

[asin]B00000IG2Z[/asin]
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mn Dave

This is only on mp3 at Amazon. I'm listening on Spotify.