Mn Dave

Brahms wrote songs too, don't you know?
[asin]B000L439ZI[/asin]

PaulR

Good evening, hope all is well.

[asin]B000675OJE[/asin]

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 27, 2011, 07:05:45 AM
Buxtehude, Dietrich - Complete Organ Works w/ Harald Vogel - just arrived, so listening to the first couple of discs this morning - a little pricier that some of the other current offerings but seems to be a forum top choice, so decided to splurge - 7 discs in a box w/ 2 booklets, one on the specifics of the many organs used to make these recordings and also a 153+ page booklet (in 3 languages) concerning the compositions and more about the instruments - :)

Dave,   I may well consider this set if you end up having very positive opinion of it ...

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 27, 2011, 05:37:20 AM
This is my favorite single Haydn quartet CD. There's been much debate recently about period vs modern instruments and the "spirit of Haydn." These performances end the debate as far as I'm concerned.

Sarge

In Karl's absence:

POUNDS THE TABLE.

I have every recording by them [Jerusalem Quartet] except for one of their first (possibly their very first), and they are all just as good as this one (including the most recent one, which is devoted to Mozart).

Now it's off to take Harry's advice about that British collection, all to the strains of Georges Onslow: String Quartets Vol 2 [Nos. 4, 10, and 46], performed by the Mandelring Quartett

ETA: just decided, in Karl's honor, to start using a new bit of Webspeak.
PTT.
Or in extreme cases
PTTUIB. [Pounds the table until it breaks.]

Lethevich

Quote from: paulrbass on October 27, 2011, 06:22:14 PM
[asin]B000675OJE[/asin]

That's a nice one - one of my earlier CD buys, and I still return to it :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 27, 2011, 11:29:02 AM
Just came in today from UPS, and got a chance to listen to this great disc, another fine recording by Petrenko/RLPO:

[asin]B005KNOE3G[/asin]

*Can't really complain about these performances at all.  However, if anything, I have a slight preference for Barshai/WDR for the 12th.

Excellent, Ray. I can't wait to hear this disc. Glad you enjoyed it.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Harry on October 27, 2011, 07:33:39 AM
That looks tasty, if you have some listening notes, I would love to hear them.

Not really, but I can write something, dear Harry.

Firstly, I have never been a great Pandolfo's fan, but I consider his work here as simply outstanding: his sound is fleshy and sensual in the gamba sonatas and suitably reflexive in the two vocal pieces.

Tempi are generally very well decided; maybe, but just maybe, I would have slow paced a little bit the two allegros of the second gamba sonata...

The two vocal interludes work out perfectly as palate cleansers and van der Kampf and Chance deliver beautiful and very moving performances, perfectly accompanied by Pandolfo and Hünninger, the latter playing a lovely positive organ in these pieces. BTW, the interplay between Pandolfo and Hünninger is excellent, even if the balance and general soundstage favour slightly to Pandolfo.

IMO, an achievement and a disc to consider.  :)

Mirror Image

Now:

[asin]B000A2H3EY[/asin]

Listening to Cello Dreaming. A beautiful work.

springrite

Just came back from dinner with bogey.

Now listening:
Haydn String Quartets Op50 #3, #5 (The Dream) and #6 (The Frog) played by the Prazak Quartet (PRAGA label)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Conor71

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 1 In F Minor, Op. 10
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 7 In C Major, Op. 60, "Leningrad"
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 10 In E Minor, Op. 93

Inspired by the Shostakovich Thread I thought I'd have a mini-binge on some of the Symphonies - All are in legendary performances!.
I'm currently listening to the Slow Movement from the 1st Symphony - I was blown away when I heard this for the first time and up till then had never heard anything like it! I have been a Shostakovich fan ever since and he is in my Top 5 Composers.

TheGSMoeller

<--------------So inspired, I decided to pull out my mandolin and (pretend) to play along. Air mandolin.

Que

I'm happy to see the image function is back! :)

For a first run:

Interestingly, this recording was originally issued on the Italian Symphonia label (now sadly defunct, but their wonderful catalogue is being reissued by Swiss Pan Classics).

Q

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Jan Pieterzoon Sweelinck.
Fourth Book of the Psalms of David. Conclusion. 3th disc.
Gesualdo Consort Amsterdam, Harry van der Kamp.

Excellent start on a dark Friday morning.

Conor71

Ravel: Piano Trio In A Minor
Chausson: Piano Trio In G Minor, Op. 3

First listen to this Disc which arrived about a month ago - I've heard the Ravel before and here it is very beautiful and well performed.
This will be the first time I've heard the Chausson or any Chausson for that matter! - I like French Chamber Music and am very fond of Faure so I expect good things from this piece :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 27, 2011, 08:57:37 PM
<--------------So inspired, I decided to pull out my mandolin and (pretend) to play along. Air mandolin.
Now that is a cool picture (I mean your avatar) and very much in line with the theme of the forum!!

Now listening to Lyapunov and his symphony (on Chandos, which is excellent, though I don't have the Naxos version so cannot compare).
[asin]B0000640BH[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

This CD is one of the Helios series I like a lot, not only because a lot of seldom played works, but also because of the excellence of the compositions. The performances are beyond reproach really, it all fits like clockwork. I like The Frankel piece especially, its a small masterpiece.! The recording has enough air around the instruments to give you a good sense of the fine acoustics. Perfect!

Conor71

Chopin: Polonaises [Disc 10]

Continuing my exploration of this excellent set of Chopin's complete Piano Music by listening to the 2 Discs of Polonaises.
To my mind these are the Chopin's most difficult works as they are the most stormy and kind of noisy too at times! :D
Magaloff is a god in this set and plays with just the right amount of sensitivity and power when required :)

chasmaniac

If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Quote from: Conor71 on October 28, 2011, 01:35:06 AM
Chopin: Polonaises [Disc 10]

Continuing my exploration of this excellent set of Chopin's complete Piano Music by listening to the 2 Discs of Polonaises.
To my mind these are the Chopin's most difficult works as they are the most stormy and kind of noisy too at times! :D
Magaloff is a god in this set and plays with just the right amount of sensitivity and power when required :)

You are quite right, he is a God concerning Chopin. This set will always be my top recommendation.